block off plate questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Springfield Ma (western mass)
if i remove my damper and put plate in where damper was would that make a big difference if i put it 2 inches above lintel

if i keep my damper and just cut hole in it to fit liner in is there gonna be a difference between that and doing it 2 inches above lintel?

problem is my fireplace opening in 48 inches and boy am i having a hard time trying to make this block off plate

my sheet metal guy wants me to do ss because he does not want to order a new sheet for what i want ( to save me money)
my installer is asking why does it have to be 2 inches above lintel why not where the damper is!

iceman said:
if i remove my damper and put plate in where damper was would that make a big difference if i put it 2 inches above lintel

if i keep my damper and just cut hole in it to fit liner in is there gonna be a difference between that and doing it 2 inches above lintel?

problem is my fireplace opening in 48 inches and boy am i having a hard time trying to make this block off plate

my sheet metal guy wants me to do ss because he does not want to order a new sheet for what i want ( to save me money)
my installer is asking why does it have to be 2 inches above lintel why not where the damper is!

I don't see a problem where ya put it in there. As long as the perimeter is sealed good with silicone (high temp) and the pipe where is goes through the damper or block off plate is sealed good with furnace cement. The whole idea is to close it off with just the liner coming through. Which ever way is easier. Go for it.

It's not going to really matter where it goes, as Hogz said. If the liner comes through the damper frame, and you can cut the damper to use as a block-off - it will work. You just need to seal up the area above the stove with a block off plate - find the best spot where you can attach it fairly easily, and seal it up well.

Status
Not open for further replies.