Block Off Plate Worth the Work and Cash?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

OregonMike

Dec 4, 2018
Portland, OR
If you're in the NW you're probably feeling the first cold snap of the year. I've been able to heat the house pretty comfortable with just my Lopi insert but since its gotten in the 20's the furnace has been burning some cash. Has anyone installed a block off plate after installing an insert. Did it make a noticeable improvement? I've bot a Lopi Revere installed into an old masonry Fireplace and chimney, the top is sealed but I'm guessing a lot of heat is being wasted up the chimney liner.

If you're in the NW you're probably feeling the first cold snap of the year. I've been able to heat the house pretty comfortable with just my Lopi insert but since its gotten in the 20's the furnace has been burning some cash. Has anyone installed a block off plate after installing an insert. Did it make a noticeable improvement? I've bot a Lopi Revere installed into an old masonry Fireplace and chimney, the top is sealed but I'm guessing a lot of heat is being wasted up the chimney liner.
Yes it makes a big difference

There are many threads on this topic where the owners have reported back seeing a notable difference. In one I recall a Jotul C550 owner that was looking at replacing it with a larger insert. After installing a block-off plate they were able to heat the place well with the C550. The difference is most notable with exterior wall fireplaces that have their back exposed to the outdoors. If there is room, adding a layer of insulation behind the insert can also help.