Block off plate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mountain man 2

Burning Hunk
Oct 31, 2017
S.C.Pa
Hhh

Attachments

• 0908180745a.jpg
    0908180745a.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 202
  • 0908180746.jpg
    0908180746.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 190
  • 0908180748.jpg
    0908180748.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
I'm not sure what you are asking by "Hhh". It does not look like you have one. Although a BOP might be particularly difficult with yiur install, unless you could access the connector from your present position/view.

The OP had more to say (I saw it earlier) but now it’s gone.

Maybe he was not asking that age old question, but actually saying there IS no block off plate- Hhh

He may have tried to edit his posting and the text got botched. Easy to do from a cellphone.

From what I recall he said it would be made of 22ga steel and he had bought some high temp silicone for sealing. 22ga is little overkill and harder to work with, but it will do. 24 or 26 ga is fine.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
It’s looks like the damper frame is still there. Can a block off plate be attached to damper frame after stove/liner is already installed?

Sure looks like alot more room to work with then i had. I wish my liner fit through all that with no modifications!

It’s looks like the damper frame is still there. Can a block off plate be attached to damper frame after stove/liner is already installed?
I don't think so. Those two spaces would need to be closed off around the vent. The OP could stuff ht insulation and easily use mesh to keep the insulation in place. The best way would have been a block off plate that includes vent connectors on each end so the appliance could be pulled out like a close dryer.
Overall, it looks like a nice job as the vent pipe does not appear distorted/damaged from the flue opening and the connection to the connector does not exhibit any anamolies and appears tight.

I don't think so. Those two spaces would need to be closed off around the vent. The OP could stuff ht insulation and easily use mesh to keep the insulation in place. The best way would have been a block off plate that includes vent connectors on each end so the appliance could be pulled out like a close dryer.
Overall, it looks like a nice job as the vent pipe does not appear distorted/damaged from the flue opening and the connection to the connector does not exhibit any anamolies and appears tight.
I have never seen or heard of a bop being done that way. If for some reason you had to pull the stove often it would make sense. But those those connectors arent cheap. And most stoves never need pulled so to me in most cases it would be a waste