Block off plate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Valkouts

Sep 27, 2020
CT
Hello all. I am about to get my first insert. I talked to 4 different dealers in my area and none of them installs a block off plate around the damper area. The only block the chimney on the top. So I decide to make my own plate, following instructions on one of the posts here, using 28 ga steel. My question is do I install right above the firebox like it is shown in the picture below and screw it on the brick and on the metal piece on the front side of the fireplace? The installer said they will remove the damper, I am assuming that they will only remove the door with the handle in the first picture, correct? Thank you!

Attachments

• 84F26B87-61E9-4415-8E40-A81F0F58BB93.jpeg
    84F26B87-61E9-4415-8E40-A81F0F58BB93.jpeg
    114.4 KB · Views: 261
  • B7AA98C5-C028-484B-868D-F5C4874094B2.jpeg
    B7AA98C5-C028-484B-868D-F5C4874094B2.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 287
Yes, it goes below the damper area. The way you have drawn this looks fine. Put some roxul or kaowool insulation above it, around the liner.

yup looks just like mine. I would remove the dampener and either store it or throw it out. Make a block off plate from 316 stainless steel, corrosion resistance and place kaowool as "begreen" mention. I secured the block off plate to the brick with screws.

Yes, it goes below the damper area. The way you have drawn this looks fine. Put some roxul or kaowool insulation above it, around the liner.
Do I use a preinsulated liner or regular liner and dill the flue with Roxull form top to bottom?

Do I use a preinsulated liner or regular liner and dill the flue with Roxull form top to bottom?
The roxul just gets packed above the baffle. The odds are you will need an insulated liner. It can be preinsulated or the insulation can be added on-site with a stainless mesh screen sleeve. Both are acceptable. Do you know the chimney tile ID? Has the chimney been completely cleaned in preparation for installing a stainless liner.

The roxul just gets packed above the baffle. The odds are you will need an insulated liner. It can be preinsulated or the insulation can be added on-site with a stainless mesh screen sleeve. Both are acceptable. Do you know the chimney tile ID? Has the chimney been completely cleaned in preparation for installing a stainless liner.
Not sure on the chimney ID. It has not been cleaned but it will be before the installation. I asked the dealer for insulated liner and he quoted me for a regular liner plus 12 pieces of 3x16x48 roxul. I am assuming they will stuff it around the liner.

I ended up making this out of 20 ga SS.
Heavy duty and classy. That will last forever.
Not sure on the chimney ID. It has not been cleaned but it will be before the installation. I asked the dealer for insulated liner and he quoted me for a regular liner plus 12 pieces of 3x16x48 roxul. I am assuming they will stuff it around the liner.
That is not the same as an insulated liner. The proper insulation is a kaowool jacket for the full length of the liner. The only place some Roxul is needed is just above the block-off place. The alternative is a pre-insulated liner that has insulation sandwiched between an inner and outer liner layer.

Last edited:
Heavy duty and classy. That will last forever.
That is not the same as an insulated liner. The proper insulation is a kaowool jacket for the full length of the liner. The only place some Roxul is needed is just above the block-off place. The alternative is a pre-insulated liner that has insulation sandwiched between an inner and outer liner layer.
I am putting mineral wool above the block off plate and where the liner passes the block off plate. The liner will be a double jacketed liner with insulation sandwiched in between.