Blocking plate? Yes or No

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is it about double wall that makes it a negative?
The fact that that very thin flat inner wall is not supported on the bottom at all it kinks and snags very easily and then is a place for creosote and heat to gather causing early failure

Yes that is the type i dont like here is an example of the type we use

http://chimneylinerdepot.com/produc...ey-liner-for-wood/flex-king-hd-tee-kits-wood/
Thanks bholler...I recently had a Hampton HI300 installed. The dealer tried to tell me I didn't need an insulated liner and (based on feedback from this site) I insisted. He then told me they would do pour-in insulation and, again, after webbing this site to death and getting feedback I requested a wrap-kit. They said a wrap kit would be too tight so we settled on a 6" ovalized pre-insulated liner (from Olympia I believe) ? Please tell me this type of liner is okay...this stuff is so hard for newbies, especially when the dealers seem to want to slam it in and go out of there and on to the next job. I thought based on feedback from this site that getting an insulated liner was critical to the insert performance? The dealer completely dismissed me on the blockoff plate...said definitely was NOT needed?

The dealer completely dismissed me on the blockoff plate...said definitely was NOT needed?
The dealer is technically correct. With a full liner a block off plate is not required. The question is, is it desirable?

Is this an interior or exterior chimney? You can get away without a blockoff plate on an interior chimney. Most of the heat absorbed by the masonry will radiate back into the house. The opposite is true with an exterior chimney. Heat will be wicked away to the outdoors from the liner and from the outer convective jacket of the insert. We have seem many cases where folks complained of inadequate heating from their insert and all it took was a blockoff plate to correct for the heat loss. Some have gone farther and insulated the back wall of the fireplace to further reduce heat loss.

They said a wrap kit would be too tight so we settled on a 6" ovalized pre-insulated liner (from Olympia I believe) ? Please tell me this type of liner is okay..
the only stuff i really don't like is the double layer smooth wall stuff which if yours is oval it is not that type. It may be light wall which we don't use but it will work fine we just prefer the heavier liners for more durability.

Well that sucks. I just received my smooth wall liner from Rockford. I'll just be extra careful putting it in I suppose. I too was under the impression that the double ply smooth wall liners were superior to the single was liners.
Yeah just be very careful it will work but i have seen quite a few of them fail pretty early so keep an eye on it.

The dealer is technically correct. With a full liner a block off plate is not required. The question is, is it desirable?

Is this an interior or exterior chimney? You can get away without a blockoff plate on an interior chimney. Most of the heat absorbed by the masonry will radiate back into the house. The opposite is true with an exterior chimney. Heat will be wicked away to the outdoors from the liner and from the outer convective jacket of the insert. We have seem many cases where folks complained of inadequate heating from their insert and all it took was a blockoff plate to correct for the heat loss. Some have gone farther and insulated the back wall of the fireplace to further reduce heat loss.
It's an exterior chimney so I guess it should have a block off plate. So the dealer (who I really don't want to bash here) sort of lectured me that they are the highest selling Regency/Hampton dealer on the east cost and he and his staff go down to Regency all the time for install trainings/certifications. Therefore, they are the experts and I'm just the simpleton writing the check:(
So does anyone know of a good competent chimney expert in Bucks County, PA who could install a block off plate for me if necessary...I'm a mechanical moron, so doing it myself would not be a good idea:)

This shouldn't be taken as a challenge to their expertise. It could be that they are just trying to keep their quote competitive. Ask them to humor you and quote you for a block-off plate as a separate add-on to their estimate. And remember, they are not the ones that will be paying for wood consumed after the job is done.

This shouldn't be taken as a challenge to their expertise. It could be that they are just trying to keep their quote competitive. Ask them to humor you and quote you for a block-off plate as a separate add-on to their estimate. And remember, they are not the ones that will be paying for wood consumed after the job is done.
Yeah...I can do that but something tells me they might again tell me it's not needed. I guess my concern is having the dealer (who was completely dismissive of the block off plate) actually install one? I guess I would be concerned if they would do the job right? Wish I could get one of the sweeps on this site (who absolutely believe in the benefits of a block off plate) just come out and install one. The other very, very frustrating thing is why so many dealers dismiss the BOP option? I did inquire about a block off plate to a local Quadrafire dealer (before deciding on the Hampton), and he also said it was NOT needed, insulated liner yes...but not the BOP??? It's just maddening that there isn't minimum standards for these type of installs...if the "best practice" for an insert install on an exterior chimney is a BOP...why don't they just tell the consumer that is the way it should be done and price it in?? It's all very frustrating and confusing for us newbies!

It's just maddening that there isn't minimum standards for these type of installs.
there is a minimum standard and it is the local code which does not call for block off plates. They are not mentioned at all in the code books to my knowledge. It is also not the industry standard (although i feel it should be) So they are not doing it wrong by not doing one it will still be safe just not as good as it could be. Insulated liners on the other hand are required in almost all cases but many installers dont do them which i see as a problem.

Block off plates are required for direct connects which are code approved, right? If so they should know how to do install correctly.

Block off plates are required for direct connects which are code approved, right? If so they should know how to do install correctly.
True but a reputable installer would not install a direct connect anymore so many would not know how to

True but a reputable installer would not install a direct connect anymore so many would not know how to
So does anyone know of a reputable chimney sweep in Bucks County PA who could install a block off plate...or do I have to beg my dealer to do it and hope he doesn't do a half assed job if he actually agrees to do the work? Like I said...it shouldn't be so difficult for someone new to all of this to get a proper install done the first time around!!

Status
Not open for further replies.