Blower motor cord - re&re;plug ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

67ref

Dec 3, 2008
Ontario Canada
www.hearth.com
Hello folks!

I was hoping to gather some specific information regarding the electrical plugs on the cords for the blower motors.

I was telling my installer that we'd have to cut the end of the wire and remove the plug in order to feed the wire
in behind through a small gap on the hearth structure which I have left for the wire to pass down through.

This would in turn then slip the wire down below into the box where I have a new electrical grounded outlet.

The guys says I can't do that ... asks me if I'm doing this to code or not.

I explain that it would have to be to code, tells me then I can not remove the plug on the end of the cord
as it's CSA approved, says so on the label on the cord.

It was my understaning that a replacement outlet plug could simply be added back on after the wire
was slipped down past the hearth stones and the suround backing plate would cover it up.

Tells me he wouldn't be able to do that but what I do after he leaves is not of his concerns.
explains to me that I would potentially have problems with the inspector afterwards.

Is there anyone with an Oburn Insert that might be able to tell me or show me a picture of
how large this plug in fact is. I might have to make a larger hole now to fit the whole thing through.

not sure why one is not permitted to cut off the plug and add a new one back on after routing the electrical.

thoughts ?

any help is much appreciated.

I honestly didn't think this was going to be a show stopper.

How about installing an outlet where the original cord would reach?

Installing a completely new cord on the fan?

I'm sure they are trying to keep people from splicing a length of new wire in the middle of a cord.

Matt

The installer cant take the chance on liabillity. If some thing would happen it would be his falt. Drill a bigger hole with a cover plate like the kind you would see on a computer desk there round maybe 1 1/2"diam. maybe paint it to the color of wall or trim. Or disconncect it from the fan dont cut the plug

By codes plug attached appliances have to have access to the plug in the same room with the appliance. That is probably what he is thinking about. And he is right.

I don't know what I was thinking just cutting appliance cords like that.

since then I've been able to measure out where the best spot for this plug hole will be.
the surround is able to cover is completely. new hole, about 1.5 x 1.5 will fit any cable with a plug on it.

the hearth itself will be finished with an access panel on the left side, to get to the electrical outlet where the unit will plug into.

I should be ok to feed the cord of the Osburn 1800i through and it still being hidden.

thanks for the input!

caused me some grief for most part of the day though.

Status
Not open for further replies.