Blower oil?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bmore

Burning Hunk
Jun 14, 2014
Baltimore MD
Hello all,

At the end of last season my Buck 91 blower started squealing then seized up. Does anyone know what oil works best on fireplace blowers? I’m hoping I can oil this and not have to spend the $180 on a new fan.

Thanks!

I believe 3 in 1 is non detergent and equivalent to 20 weight oil. Which is what you want to use on electric fan motors.

It also comes in a convenient small can with a dropper. Drops are what you want to lubricate a small fan motor. Can the motor shaft be turned manually? If so, it may be saveable. If the bearings have welded themselves to the shaft then this may be replacement time.

Reactions: Squisher
On very small motors such as my ship models I use Marvels Mystery oil, one tiny tiny drop each season. On larger motors I’ve used 3:1 or sewing machine oil. The shaft has to be exposed on each end otherwise you may need to take it apart.

I've used both 3-in-1 and Marvels Mystery Oil to similar success on my fan motors for my March Brewing pumps. I've revived 3 seized pumps with them, and they were super abused and stored incorrectly. No squealing at all from them.