blower on my freestanding in fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
will it do any good to have a blower on my freestanding stove that sits in my fireplace? I'm at work, so this pic of my setup is about all I can do:

Attachments

• stove placement.bmp
    170.9 KB · Views: 528
I've got maybe 8" clearance around the stove all the way, so I just wasn't sure of two things:

1. the heat behind the stove in this little area being so high that it burns the motor out.
2. not really having much access of air for the thing to actually blow by the stove, unless it does a really good job of taking air from under and in front of the stove and shooting it across the stove top.

If you have a lower block-off plate, yes, it will help throw the heat into the room. Here is what I did:

Attachments

• blower demo4.jpg
    blower demo4.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 249
p.s. still havent done a lower block off plate. have the materials, haven't taken the time since the stove has been running hard and I don't want to let it cool down to do the work.

You should do the lower block-off plate first as you are losing a lot of heat into the smoke chamber and the chimney.

There are many different blower options including an oem one if offered for your stove. If not, you can find wood stove blowers at Amazon, Ebay, or go to a motor supply house like cshincorporated.com

If you dont want to go thru the trouble of a block off plate, you can just pack the whole area full of rock wool. But stopping the air up the chimley fluke/flume/flute should be your first priority.

Franks said:
If you dont want to go thru the trouble of a block off plate, you can just pack the whole area full of rock wool. But stopping the air up the chimley fluke/flume/flute should be your first priority.
thanks for the advice, guys. at least my chimney isn't like 20 feet tall with a ton of air in it being heated.

on a similar note, is there something cool I can do with this giant squirrel cage that came off of my old furnace?

The block-off plate is worth the effort. You are plugging a vertical opening in your house through which heat naturally rises. Just think about it. Your efforts will pay you back for years to come. It also acts as a fire door, a sefety device, should you have a problem in the flue or chimney. It is at the top of my list of things people should do for a hearth mount stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.