Blower Problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vickib5512

Jan 7, 2009
Michigan
I posted this just a little while ago and every other post has multiple responses - except mine - so am wondering whether nobody knows or if it's just a stupid question. I have an Avalon Olympic and the blower comes on when the stove gets hot and turns off about an hour or two after it starts blowing cool air. Doesn't make sense to me. I'll get ahold of my dealer if I can get some feedback here. They tell me everything is normal with every other question I've had (new owner, lots of questions). Would just like to know if anyone knows if this is a design flaw or there is possibly something off with my particular blower.

Thanks.

I have a new Osburn insert and the blower comes on after an hour or so, once the insert temp gets to approx. 250F., then it runs for maybe half and hour or more and turns off at around 200F . There is something called a thermo disc that controls the power to the blower. When the disc gets to temp the blower goes on and when it cools down the blower goes off. My Osburn dosen't blow cool air, I mean the air is somewhat cooler than when it first turns on, but the blower shuts off, it does not stay on and continually blow cool air. Hope this helps.

Your blower is doing exactly what it's supposed to do.
It won't come on til the unit reaches a certain temperature.
It won't shut off until it cools down to a certain temperature.
The thermo-disk is a heat actuated switch.
If you feel it's closing (turning the blower on) or opening (turning it off) too late or too soon, you can find suitable replacements at a hearth shop, that are rated for different temps...
***CAVEAT*** A "suitable" replacement may not be approved by the MFR & could void your warranty...

My problem is it is not turning off until it has been blowing cool air for quite some time. I don't have a stove thermometer so I don't know at which temperature it is turning off. I know that it is thermostat controlled but shouldn't the shut off be somewhat close to the start up temperature? That is what the other person responding said his does. It blows cold/cool air for a LONG time before it shuts off. In fact, I can reach my hand in and touch the inside of the cold stove and the fan will still be blowing.

It turned off by itself once recently (had been gone for hours and hours and hours from my house), so I know it turns off. Usually, though, I turn it off so I can load it in the morning without getting frostbite from the blowing air. : ) My biggest thing here is I know the store is going to say it's normal. Had a bad gasket in my ash pan and raging fires on occasion but they kept saying it must be my wood or the way I was loading it because they didn't know of anything else it could be. They even came and looked at the ash pan and saw the problem but said the gap in the gasket wouldn't cause the occasional raging fire. It only did it sometimes, and so that made some sense. Turns out it was the gasket after all.

So, you see, I'm just trying to find out whether all Avalon blowers do this or if it's abnormal. I don't want to call them and tell them I have another problem unless it's really a defect in the fan.

Thanks again.

Sounds like a sticky or defective thermostat/thermodisk/thermoswitch, etc. Generally, I would think it should cycle on/off within a couple dozen degrees. The key is - this temp would be of the thermoswitch itself. So if the switch happens to be buried under insulation, or maybe has come loose and touching the very last part of the stove to cool off, that could keep the switch warm long after the air has gone cold. Either way, you're saying the blower takes a couple hours AFTER it starts blowing cold air doesn't seem right.

Can you get in touch with the manufacturer and ask them? I have also seen on other posts that the correct placement of that thermo disc has allot to do with turning the blower on and off at the correct temps. Maybe it's just a wide range temp disc. Seeing how burning wood is supposed to be economical I'd be thinking of my electric bill goin gup with that thing running all the time. But I'm a frugal one sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.