Blowing pellets with a leaf blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. What's interesting is that Maine Energy Systems sold me a very heavy duty (abrasion resistant?) 4" what looks like rubber pipe, but the reinforcing cord is plastic and not metal, so I don't know if it maybe intrinsically is anti-static or something. I sent them and email, and maybe will talk with them tomorrow about it.

The fill and exhaust pipe I got from Vermont Renewable Fuels was also the black heavy duty rubber hose with a rib around it.
Have you cut your hose yet? I am sure it is the same, carefully cut into it and you will find them.
Inside the rib in mine were some multi-strand wires, not thick but sufficient for static purposes.
You cut the hose slightly longer and wrap the wire inside so it touches the fittings before you clamp it up.
On this page you can see the hose and fitting kit I bought.
http://vermontrenewablefuels.com/products.html
This is my install thread with pictures of the hose.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/my-windhager-biowin-install.114030/#post-1526516

Looking at your install thread velvetfoot, it looks like you got 2 male fittings, you should get one of the male swapped for a female.

bdud, why should I get one swapped for a female?
I think a fellow at vincentsheating said they'll be getting a truck that recycles the exiting dust. Maybe that's a reason to have a male and female?
Otherwise, I wouldn't know why.

bdud, why should I get one swapped for a female?
I think a fellow at vincentsheating said they'll be getting a truck that recycles the exiting dust. Maybe that's a reason to have a male and female?
Otherwise, I wouldn't know why.

I did a couple of biopsies, and man, is that hard to cut. I used a Dremel, among other things-nothing satisfactory for a snippet. What in the world did you cut it with? I'm thinking maybe a chop saw?
I found no wire though.

Then, I had the bright idea of looking for markings on the pipe, and it was tigerflex uf-1 400.
http://www.plastixs.com/tiger_ureflex1.html
"Black HMW PVC convoluted cover formulated with static-dissipative compound"

The kit I got from Vermont had a male and female, the male they use for the bulk filling. Sandri also connected a pipe to the female fitting to direct the dust away from the house. If you are getting bulk fill and your supplier is ok with the 2 female fitting then you are good to go.
I think I cut mine with a hacksaw. Wrapped masking tape round it first and made a line so I cut it straight.

See my post above. It's in the compound. Please tell me how you cut the darn thing-it's way tough.

I'll give a couple places a call re: connectors.

I edited my post after I realized you had answered my question. :)
Here is a picture of my black hose with the wire embedded, not the best picture.
You hose seems to be the latest design?
I cut the hose so the wire was long, made sure it was inside the fitting it connects to and then wrapped it around the hose clamp.
I also used some multi-strand wire to connect the clamp to the silo. I then grounded the silo to my house electrical ground which connects to 2 ground spikes.

Attachments

• IMG_1045.jpg
    IMG_1045.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 240
I think I cut mine with a hacksaw. Wrapped masking tape round it first and made a line so I cut it straight.
I may have used a sawzall but I don't think so.

I did some calculations about blowing paged pellets and bulk delivery, in a different thread, and it does not make sense for me to blow in bagged pellets. I just had a bulk delivery today, 3.4 tons and I am all set.
Anyone interested in 15' of reinforced, conductive suction hose and a male and female 4" connector?

No thanks. If I ever do this it'll be low tech, ie, cheap.

But...bdud, you now heat your dhw with pellets? How dry, humidity wise, should the basement be for successful storage over the summer?

During the heating season the pellet boiler heats my hot water tank. When I turn off the boiler when I no longer need heat, I use a Nyle Geyser DWHP which is also attached to hot water storage tank. It is a win, win all around. It keeps my basement cool, heats my hot water, the condensation waters my little herb garden and also dehumidifies the basement. It is in the same area as silo. I have no worries about humidity in my basement. I also have some z-wave water sensors dotted around my house linked to a water shutoff valve, I am a bit paranoid..

I also am a bit paranoid. I have something called the Water Cop that does the same thing, not Z-wave though. There's a switch by the door and we turn the water off every time we go out. I'll be using a heat pump water heater of some sort to keep down the humidity.

I also am a bit paranoid. I have something called the Water Cop that does the same thing, not Z-wave though. There's a switch by the door and we turn the water off every time we go out. I'll be using a heat pump water heater of some sort to keep down the humidity.
My sensor and valve, which looks like the water cop, is made by Fortrezz. I have 5 zwave water sensors and one is next to our washing machine which is directly above my silo. It automatically shuts off the water valve, flashes a strobe light and sounds a siren, it also sends me messages and emails. It has tripped twice, once when loose hair was caught in the door seal and another time when I was in a meeting when the waste pipe inside was rubbing and sprung a leak. My phone went nuts with my wife phoning me, lucky it was on mute, they worked it out pretty quick and I repaired the washing machine. I also wired my heat pump water heater condensate pump to one of the sensors. Yep major paranoid about water leaks.

Hi there
I saw your clips, and all the other clips, read all the different types of set ups. I´ve tried to make my own set up. I just don´t get it right.. Still keeps blowing right up and bubble the pellets. I´ve tried the t-section, the sani-section and in 2, 3 and 4 inches. I tried 10 meter hose and 6 meter pvc-pipe . The best set up so far is the 3 inch with 6 meter pvc-pipe but, it isn´t reliable at all.
Do you have a baffle of some sort or something else to avoid the air shoting straight up?

Status
Not open for further replies.