Bluestone Hearth Pad question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hawaiianlove821

Nov 20, 2023
Warwick, RI
Hi everyone-

I'm looking to put a hearth pad of bluestone in one piece under a new 2023 Vermont Castings Encore per the hearth pad specs in the book. Today someone told me that I can't put the stone on my hardwood floor - that I should cut out my hardwood floor and put cement board on the subfloor and a ton of mortar - otherwise the stove will crack the stone. The bluestone would be 2" thick and is 48 1/2" x 48 1/2" x 32 1/2" x 32 1/2" x 22" (See diagram). I was planning on just putting down a piece of underlayment on the hardwood floor and putting the stone on top of that....then putting up cement board on the walls and putting real stone veneer. My floor is completely level....it is all brand new subfloor and brand new 5/8" engineered hardwood floor on plywood. I don't see why I would have to motar the piece of bluestone down. Does anyone have any thoughts? Looking to do thermal finish with rock face edge on 3 sides.

Screenshot_20231108_100510_Drive.jpg 20231120_194347.jpg