Boiler advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
For me 14,000 in hardware (boiler, tanks, pipe and install) could have bought an awful lot of propane.

For me 14,000 in hardware (boiler, tanks, pipe and install) could have bought an awful lot of propane.

It's a big investment, that is for sure.

In my situation, that cost would be vs. $3000+/- per year for fuel oil.

It would right now. Back in ‘13 and ‘14, not nearly as much.

The cost of the boiler will eventually pay for itself - I just might need to make sure I live here for 20+ years to see it. And I’ll have plenty of seasoned wood available for another year like 2014.

Now, it will be nice not to have to worry so much if the propane boiler kicks in every once in awhile.

I wish I had the knowledge / experience that would enable me to filter the info I receive, myself. I grew up throwing logs into my Dad’s wood burning stove ; this wood boiler / hydronic application is completely new to me.

I knew I’d be able to QC the information on this site, however. A lot of knowledgeable people here, and I always find valuable help when I have questions.

Thanks again
Just spend a bunch of time reading on here.
When i built my system i had never had anything to do with hydronic heating.
This will be year 10 on my system,havn't changed anything since it was first fired up.
It's not perfect,i am still searching for a end of burn shutdown.
The three boilers that were on my list change completely after a couple months reading and asking questions.

It's a big investment, that is for sure.

In my situation, that cost would be vs. $3000+/- per year for fuel oil.

Don't get me wrong... it wasn't the just the money.

14 acres of woods, getting outside in the brisk fall air for some exercise, making the commitment to burn wood in the LR insert had already been done, having the saws and Super Split, knowing what happened in the propane price spike, living in the area of working forests, already having a tractor for other chores and now I just bought a Farnsgard V4000 logging winch in great condition.
We built this house knowing we were retiring there. I designed the house from the start with mostly RFH and the wood boiler with storage was a natural path to take full advantage. I just never planned on adding a wood boiler 13 years ago when it was built.

I just hope I remain healthy enough to at least break even. Been asked many times why no wood pellets and my answer was because they ain't free. Well, neither is processes cord wood. LOL

Reactions: SpaceBus
Don't get me wrong... it wasn't the just the money.

14 acres of woods, getting outside in the brisk fall air for some exercise, making the commitment to burn wood in the LR insert had already been done, having the saws and Super Split, knowing what happened in the propane price spike, living in the area of working forests, already having a tractor for other chores and now I just bought a Farnsgard V4000 logging winch in great condition.
We built this house knowing we were retiring there. I designed the house from the start with mostly RFH and the wood boiler with storage was a natural path to take full advantage. I just never planned on adding a wood boiler 13 years ago when it was built.

I just hope I remain healthy enough to at least break even. Been asked many times why no wood pellets and my answer was because they ain't free. Well, neither is processes cord wood. LOL

I have the 3700 and love it. One of the best purchases I made for managing trees.

Not sure what this poster is talking about, residential or commercial or where ambala is located? Most of us here are are quite familiar with our setups and through the help of this forum able to diagnose and repair our systems.

Not sure what this poster is talking about, residential or commercial or where ambala is located? Most of us here are are quite familiar with our setups and through the help of this forum able to diagnose and repair our systems.
Probably a bot...there was one popped up the other day on another forum I read...posting a bunch of giberish