Boiler/Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mousebndr

Aug 5, 2011
Australia
Hi All

I’m hunting for a design for a wood boiler / fireplace. Basically we want to install a wood fireplace in our main living room, which will provide some space heating but then also have a boiler heat water for the radiant slab heating we have. Looking for about 20kw output for the radiant system and a bit more for space heating the living room.

Most boilers tend to be ugly, and super insulated so they don’t provide much space heating.

I’ve been looking over the seton plans a fair bit, always wanted to build one, and am wondering if this concept could be modified. Maybe by adding a glass door and reducing the insulation around the sides of the unit adding tiles or something to make it look less utlaitiarian.

Has anyone ever done or seen something like this?

Pretty much you can either use the heat for radiant output of you can transfer it to water for hyrdranic but you cant have both. And a fireplace isnt going to mske much heat in either form.

Pretty much you can either use the heat for radiant output of you can transfer it to water for hyrdranic but you cant have both. And a fireplace isnt going to mske much heat in either form.

By fireplace I mean some sort of wood burning heater... not an open fire.

Let’s say we wanted 30kw, 20 for radiant and 10 for the space... could a boiler not be made to leak a bit of heat?

I know nothing about these guys, but they’re the first hit on Google:

https://www.oranier-stoves.com/products/wood-stoves-with-boiler-function

“The products combine the charming warmth of a wood stove with the comfort and energy efficiency of modern heating technology. ORANIER offers wood stoves with a boiler function as an all-in system that can be connected to the heating system. Upon request it can be extended with a solar system. “