1. mousebndr

mousebndr
    Member 2.
    NULL

Aug 5, 2011
    Loc:
    Australia
    Hi All

I’m hunting for a design for a wood boiler / fireplace. Basically we want to install a wood fireplace in our main living room, which will provide some space heating but then also have a boiler heat water for the radiant slab heating we have. Looking for about 20kw output for the radiant system and a bit more for space heating the living room.

Most boilers tend to be ugly, and super insulated so they don’t provide much space heating.

I’ve been looking over the seton plans a fair bit, always wanted to build one, and am wondering if this concept could be modified. Maybe by adding a glass door and reducing the insulation around the sides of the unit adding tiles or something to make it look less utlaitiarian.

Has anyone ever done or seen something like this?

2. bholler

bholler
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 14, 2014
    Loc:
    central pa
    Pretty much you can either use the heat for radiant output of you can transfer it to water for hyrdranic but you cant have both. And a fireplace isnt going to mske much heat in either form.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mousebndr

mousebndr
    Member 2.
    NULL

Aug 5, 2011
    Loc:
    Australia
    By fireplace I mean some sort of wood burning heater... not an open fire.

Let’s say we wanted 30kw, 20 for radiant and 10 for the space... could a boiler not be made to leak a bit of heat?

4. Ashful

Ashful
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 7, 2012
    Loc:
    Philadelphia
    I know nothing about these guys, but they’re the first hit on Google:

https://www.oranier-stoves.com/products/wood-stoves-with-boiler-function

“The products combine the charming warmth of a wood stove with the comfort and energy efficiency of modern heating technology. ORANIER offers wood stoves with a boiler function as an all-in system that can be connected to the heating system. Upon request it can be extended with a solar system. “

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Chris Hoskin

Chris Hoskin
    TarmSalesGuy 2.
    NULL

Aug 29, 2008
    Loc:
    Lyme, NH
  6. NateB

NateB
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Mar 5, 2013
    Loc:
    South Central Pennsylvania
    http://www.walltherm.ca/ I think you described walltherm exactly. I don't know if you will get design ideas from them, but they build a business around the idea.