boiler next step advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tedlee

Apr 28, 2016
coastal virginia
Hey everyone. I have been running a Garn 2000 w/a fan coil and side arm for 7 years. Its a simple system but it has worked well for us. Due to shoulder surgery I will not be able to cut firewood. So I'm thinking or replacing my Garn with an oil boiler. I need to know if you think its a feasible idea and if so which brand and how to set it up. Ive no experience with a closed system but why wouldn't my current set up (water lines fan coil, etc.) work with a non condensing 100000 but boiler? Any other ideas or input is appreciated.

How about the electric coil kit for the Garn?

I've thought about the same thing. I'll be 70 this summer and at some point in time wood c/s/s will start to get beyond my capabilities. Strategy includes a mini-split to handle the shoulder seasons. That may reduce wood need by 1/3 or more. Next buying semi loads of logs from a logger, next buying c/s wood, and finally ... well, may never get there.

Thanks for the replies. My body has given me a real wake up call about processing wood. Even buying cordwood still leaves a lot of handling. Though I've enjoyed working the wood and firing the boiler I've decided to move on from firewood. Yes my other heat source is a heat pump. Wife has had 4 back surgeries and needs temp. of at least 76 to be comfortable. Not heat pump territory. I like boiler heat and oil btu content. It just seems to me that the setup I have now would be an easy fit for an oil boiler. I plan to sell my Garn and install an oil boiler and a diesel generator in the Garn shed.I am hoping for advice about the best way to go about it.