Boiler size with a woodstove too?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MasonWoods

May 23, 2008
Southern NH
Hi,

I am new but have been lurking almost daily for months now. This is a great forum. I am looking to put either a Tarm or an EKO and add storage later. I currently use a soapstone wood stove and heat with oil as a backup. House is about 2200sqft 3/4 of this space is new construction 2x6 well insulated. The rest is 2x4 with new insulation. I burned about 4.5 cords last winter plus 600 gallons of oil. Heat-loss is about 59k btu/hr. If I am doing this correctly this would suggest I am on high end of the capacity of an EKO or Tarm 25 and should go up to a 40 if I plan to add storage (800). I like my Hearthstone soapstone woodstove and will probably continue to use it when I am home. What I am trying to accomplish is two things. 1) minimize the need for the oil which runs when I am not home ( I am out 12-14hrs on the weekdays with thermostats setback to 55) 2) Possibly reduce the use of the wood used in the wood stove which I don't believe is all that efficient.

Also my basement ceiling height is 6'5" so it looks like EKO 25 or 40 requires 7'2" clearance. looks like an EKO is not an option. Tarm 25 or 40 may just make it with a few inches to spare.
I am leaning towards a Tarm 25 assuming that the wood stove will reduce my requirement for something bigger.

Thoughts on my logic?

Thanks

MasonWoods said:
Hi,

I am new but have been lurking almost daily for months now. This is a great forum. I am looking to put either a Tarm or an EKO and add storage later. I currently use a soapstone wood stove and heat with oil as a backup. House is about 2200sqft 3/4 of this space is new construction 2x6 well insulated. The rest is 2x4 with new insulation. I burned about 4.5 cords last winter plus 600 gallons of oil. Heat-loss is about 59k btu/hr. If I am doing this correctly this would suggest I am on high end of the capacity of an EKO or Tarm 25 and should go up to a 40 if I plan to add storage (800). I like my Hearthstone soapstone woodstove and will probably continue to use it when I am home. What I am trying to accomplish is two things. 1) minimize the need for the oil which runs when I am not home ( I am out 12-14hrs on the weekdays with thermostats setback to 55) 2) Possibly reduce the use of the wood used in the wood stove which I don't believe is all that efficient.

Also my basement ceiling height is 6'5" so it looks like EKO 25 or 40 requires 7'2" clearance. looks like an EKO is not an option. Tarm 25 or 40 may just make it with a few inches to spare.
I am leaning towards a Tarm 25 assuming that the wood stove will reduce my requirement for something bigger.

Thoughts on my logic?

Thanks

I think many people get a wood boiler that's too large. I replaced a 600 gallon oil habit with the EKO 25 and it's still a bit bigger than I really need. Especially if you're keeping the Hearthstone, I'd be inclined to get a smaller wood boiler. The only curse is that a smaller boiler also has a smaller firebox, so they need to be fed somewhat more often. Some people have gotten a larger boiler and blocked off one nozzle. Probably not quite as efficient, but perhaps a good compromise.

Thanks for the input. I think you are correct. So far everyone I spoke to recommended the smaller unit. I am ordering the Tarm Solo 30 as I am also here in NH. They still have some available. Hope to pick it up in a few days and install it over the summer. Now I need to do some homework on storage.

Thanks again for the input.
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.