Booming noise from wood stove when cooling.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bod

Apr 16, 2019
Uk
Hi,
I have a Burley wood stove with external double lined flue which makes a loud booming noise about an hour after cooling, this noise is so loud it wakes us up in the bedroom which is where the flue runs outside.
It doesn't appear to be from the stove as Ive sat next to the stove when it happens.
Has anybody got any ideas please?

Same as your exhaust on the car ticking when you shut it down when hot.... Just that metal expands when warm, and contracts as it cools. Depending on connections and metals and size, this process makes different tones.

Unless there are other concerns, and the unit is operating normally, sounds as it often is.

I heard this once from the Buck 91 (I wasn't at the house much, where I had this stove, but my MIL never mentioned it happening.) It sounded like someone had hit the side of the firebox with a rubber mallet. I looked for popped welds but didn't find any. I called Buck and they said it was probably a sidewall of the firebox that had flexed when the stove was cooling.

The inner pipe of class A is designed to be able to expand independent of the outter pipe. Each section grows in length into the section below it. I venture to say that the noise you hear is a section contracting back as it cools. It can stick to the pipe it is inserted into and when it lets go, a loud bang will result. Imagine how that noise would be amplified inside a metal tube. That is my guess anyway.

The inner pipe of class A is designed to be able to expand independent of the outter pipe. Each section grows in length into the section below it. I venture to say that the noise you hear is a section contracting back as it cools. It can stick to the pipe it is inserted into and when it lets go, a loud bang will result. Imagine how that noise would be amplified inside a metal tube. That is my guess anyway.
Good theory, and he said the noise didn't come from the stove. In my case, it was hard to tell where it came from because of the muffled effect of the sound...it was not a sharp sound that I could really pinpoint.

Good theory, and he said the noise didn't come from the stove. In my case, it was hard to tell where it came from because of the muffled effect of the sound...it was not a sharp sound that I could really pinpoint.

Yes. Not to say that stoves dont make their own scary bangs in the night. Mine sure does. He seems to point to the chimney in this case. Most times its hard to tell where its coming from.