Boredom

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Touch0Gray

Feb 8, 2020
Wi
I was bored today so I decided to build a rear "stop" for the log shelf on my log splitter. I hacked up some used steel I had and brazed it together. I was using a new, auto darkening helmet and had it set to 9-15 and really couldn't see what I was doing. It's not pretty but it will prevent any log from hitting my engine and it won't fall apart! My miters were pretty primitive, but it's strong enough.
20200328_155818.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What did you braze them together with? Oxy-acetylene torch? Oxy-acetylene should be around a shade 5.

Arc welding requires shades 9 to 15 depending on process and amperage.

What did you braze them together with? Oxy-acetylene torch? Oxy-acetylene should be around a shade 5.

Arc welding requires shades 9 to 15 depending on process and amperage.
Yeah, oxy acetylene, and I know, but I wasn't sure how to change the setting on the helmet. I know now though. There is a switch! (for reference, I spent 40 years with an oxy/propane torch in my hand, personally, I hate acetylene. But my other torches are too small for 3/8" steel. Arc was too much trouble.

I was going to re-fillet it tomorrow but it is good enough, so it has the first coat of paint on it now, drying by the wood burner.

Yeah, oxy acetylene, and I know, but I wasn't sure how to change the setting on the helmet. I know now though. There is a switch! (for reference, I spent 40 years with an oxy/propane torch in my hand, personally, I hate acetylene. But my other torches are too small for 3/8" steel. Arc was too much trouble.

I was going to re-fillet it tomorrow but it is good enough, so it has the first coat of paint on it now, drying by the wood burner.

Now I'm curious what you did that you used the oxy-propane torch for? I've worked in a fab shop for the last 10 years, only thing we use oxy-acetylene for is cutting, and that is now mostly replaced with plasma. Everything we make is welded, stick or flux-core. Never had much experience with brazing other than a handful of times in school.

You have an asbestos carpet and ottoman? ;)

Now I'm curious what you did that you used the oxy-propane torch for? I've worked in a fab shop for the last 10 years, only thing we use oxy-acetylene for is cutting, and that is now mostly replaced with plasma. Everything we make is welded, stick or flux-core. Never had much experience with brazing other than a handful of times in school.
By trade, I am a jeweler/goldsmith. I am unused to putting a torch to something this big. Acetylene is too dirty for my real work, and actually, it cannot be used with platinum, too much carbon, it contaminates the metal.

Reactions: ABMax24
You don't?
I should; I've opened the stove a couple times when I had Black Locust in there, and unleashed some fireworks into the room! ;lol

Looks like it was custom made for it! Fwiw there was EXTENSIVE modification to the shelf since I ordered the wrong one in the first place.
20200329_110408.jpg

I should; I've opened the stove a couple times when I had Black Locust in there, and unleashed some fireworks into the room! ;lol
I assume that I am NOT the only one who could ALMOST get that log into the box, which, of course, is the one that IMMEDIATELY bursts into flames!

I assume that I am NOT the only one who could ALMOST get that log into the box, which, of course, is the one that IMMEDIATELY bursts into flames!
or maybe I am ??????????