Bottle jack top plate modification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FaithfulWoodsman

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2015
Geographic Center of Ohio
I have been using a bottle jack for a bit now and have loved how well it works for moderate leaners that would normally eat wedges, if used safely. I know there is a good deal of debate on their safety and proper use. I recommend doing a good bit of research on what to use/how to and having a solid amount of felling experience before using one. They can be dangerous, as if felling isn't dangerous enough. I always angle the base cut to prevent shootout and never stand directly behind it. I've never had any issues, but have an idea on how improve the metal top plate to further prevent any slippage or shootout. Someone out there has prob already designed something like this, but just thought I'd share my rough sketch. I have a local welder willing to fab this up for me.
IMG_20170112_121333124.jpg