bottoms up cleaning hearthstone homestead

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

maverick06

Minister of Fire
Sep 27, 2008
media, pa
All,
I am trying to figure out how to clean a hearthstone homestead stove from the bottom up. Getting on the roof isnt an option due to pitch of roof.

I just cant figure out how to sweep from the bottom up on this stove. I have been able to get the air tubes out, but I cant get the baffle out, or moved. Its slightly lose and can wiggle a little, but not able to move it. There are horror storied of people getting it broken. So I guess there is a little glue holding it.

I probably could snake a soot eater around the baffle, but its pretty tight, and I dont know how tight a bend radius the soot eater can handle.

Can anyone with this stove give me a hand figuring out how to sweep from the bottom up?

picture below shows the access. I can fold the front metal baffle support up, and can take the tubes out (already partially out in the picture), but couldn't get the baffle board moved out of that position. Seems like a poorly designed stove... no access to clean!

a11029815-16-IMG_20180612_134057.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
In mine there is a single bolt that holds in a square air tube in the rear of the firebox. About 2" x 3" straight up and down, center of the back. Take the bolt out, remove the tube and then you can drop the secondary air manifold. It is resting on top of the upright air tube. Once this is out you will be able to go straight up through the stove pipe with your soot eater.

Reactions: begreen
Roof pitch > 7 attach a roof bracket with carabiner to the ridge with a climbing line knotted for handholds reaching to the eave.
Walk on the roof if asphalt with new sneakers or roofer's shoes.
Many with metal flues do this here for yearly cleaning from the top.

You’ve got to pull the baffle whether sweeping from the top or bottom, assuming vertical flue from stove. We’ve had too many folks come here with broken baffles from the sweeper pushing the brush right into the firebox from above.

I can easily access the top of my flues but very much prefer bottom up cleaning with the sooteater.

Your baffle board is removable.

You’ve got to pull the baffle whether sweeping from the top or bottom, assuming vertical flue from stove. We’ve had too many folks come here with broken baffles from the sweeper pushing the brush right into the firebox from above.

I can easily access the top of my flues but very much prefer bottom up cleaning with the sooteater.

Your baffle board is removable.
Hearthstone baffles are a pain in the butt, older ones aren’t removable on some. In order to replace the baffle board on a Homestead, you first cut it in half, install it in 2 pieces and then cement the joint once it’s in there. It’s crazy!

In mine there is a single bolt that holds in a square air tube in the rear of the firebox. About 2" x 3" straight up and down, center of the back. Take the bolt out, remove the tube and then you can drop the secondary air manifold. It is resting on top of the upright air tube. Once this is out you will be able to go straight up through the stove pipe with your soot eater.
There’s no bolt that retains the baffle on an older Homestead. The removable baffle assembly is something that’s been added in recent years.

so let me get this right.
I have to remove the baffle to sweep it.
The older stove design might not be removable.
So each time I want to sweep I am required to replace a $120 baffle.

Thats awesome.

so let me get this right.
I have to remove the baffle to sweep it.
The older stove design might not be removable.
So each time I want to sweep I am required to replace a $120 baffle.

Thats awesome.
There’s no need to drop the baffle, although it is nice at times. Sweep the flue, then pull the pipe off of it so you can vacuum out the mess.

Or just remove the interior stove pipe and sweep it separately. If you sweep into the stove from the roof you are likely to push the brush right through your fragile baffle.

You need to clean the debris off of the baffle somehow.

What a dumb design. Baffles should be removable. It was on my hearthstone heritage and I removed it many times.

Reactions: webby3650
bumping this back up (last posted in summer when fewer people are on the site). I am really hoping that someone here has a better idea how to bottom up clean the hearthstone homestead. I cant get on the roof. Doesnt seem easy to get in from the bottom. Ideas are welcome. I am thinking about having to take the pipe off and slide the stove out of the way.... sounds like a bad time...

Yes, a lot of Homesteads are installed on the fireplace hearth. If you can slip a sheet of metal under the feet it will pivot and slide much easier. Just be careful not to go too far and off the hearth, especially if it is raised. That could be a disaster.

Another inquiry on this topic. I have same situation with our Homestead Hearth mounted / fireplace inserted. But, we had cleanout installed outside so I can sweep chimney from bottom up. So question is: Do I need to be concerned about the byproducts that are above baffle and air tubes that were naturally occurring (not fallout from sweeping) ? Thanks

Eventually, the connector and top of the baffle will need cleaning. How frequently depends on a lot of factors but a check after a few years will give you a sense of how frequently it's needed. Might end up being needed annually if the wood is poorly seasoned and the draft is weak and once every 5 yrs. in the opposite case.

Reactions: EagleATC
I've got to think that the first few feet of any flue system is the most important to clean. That's the area that actual flames can lick if you're really running the stove hard and that's the hottest part where you're likely to start the chimney fire.

I've got to think that the first few feet of any flue system is the most important to clean. That's the area that actual flames can lick if you're really running the stove hard and that's the hottest part where you're likely to start the chimney fire.
Yes, it certainly can be, especially if the wood and/or operation is sub-optimal and with a rear-exit stove venting into a cold chimney. For our system the greatest accumulation is at the top where the flue system exits the house and is exposed to outdoor cold. The bottom is usually very clean but this is with a top exit.