Bought a splitter today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Same exact splitter i just got.

I love it so far.

I hate to say it but i only paid $899 here in MI. at Tractor Supply. They had just got in 3 new ones and bumped up the price to $999 but i asked for the lower price and they had no issue at all with it. Even filled it with gas before i left!
Heck the GAS had to be worth another $50:00! With the price around here we need a steam power splitter. Then we just feed it with the wood we are splitting.

Nice... Great price. Fuel here is $3.89 for regular, and the splitter does drink it up, but its worth it! Have fun with it... You'll love it

I think it's from staying bent over for a while. With horizontal splitting I pick up a large wheelbarrow of logs, and pull off that so I'm mostly standing up, though moving around some while is about the best position for me.

Vertical requires me to bend down to hold the log upright while splitting, then bending to pull the splits and toss them into the pile, plus holding my arm out to run the valve. I have a real tough time holding my arms away from my body for lengths of time.

I tried it while kneeling or sitting and didn't help much, plus all the getting up and getting down was tough as well.

My back will hurt either way, just it's more comfortable while horizontal splitting.

Nate, if you got a sore back from doing that, you were doing it wrong. Just how were you doing it to give you this screaming back?

I used to rent a vertical splitter and couldn't stand it. Like Nate I would be in horrible pain by the end of the day. With the TW, I stack a bunch of rounds next to the splitter and just go to town. Still sore at the end of the day but it isn't excruciating like I was after using the vertical only.

I've spent about 3 hours on it since I bought it, and this weekend I really has a system down. I had nothing super huge to have to go vertical, but I pulled right from my truck at waist level right to the splitter at waist level. I was splitting like a king

Sent from my SGH-T759 using Tapatalk 2

I just bought the same splitter. Exactly the same as the OP. It came with hydro fluid and even engine oil, I had to add gas though. The tiny fuel tank on the engine runs out at about the perfect time to take a break. I tried horizontal just to make sure that vertical is superior and indeed it is. I sit on a tipped up 16" round and that's the perfect height. Sit close to the splitter so that you aren't reaching for the controls or the splits. Wear ear muffs.

My method with these hydro splitters is to roll 7 or 8 12"+ rounds up near my stool within arm's reach. Really just fill up the area within arm's reach with rounds. Sit down and do not get off the stool. Reach around and roll a round onto the splitter and chunk it up. Throw splits into the split pile which is to the left usually so that you can pitch with your left hand while running the lever with your right hand.

The only time you get off the stool is to roll the next rounds up to the stool. A pickeroon would be a great help to prevent you from having to ever leave the stool.

When I tried horizontal my back started hurting. Every round I had to bend over and lift onto the beam. I had to spend extra strength to be sure the large splits didn't fall off. Lot's of bending down and picking up stuff just to avoid sitting on a stool. Horizontal would work fine if you were pulling dinky 8"- rounds from a truck bed.

Anyway, love the huskee 22 ton so far. I had to loosen and realign the pressure hose from the pump to the valve. It had a big twist in it that nearly caused a pinch when I went vertical.

Nice highbeam, thing has plenty of power.

Sent from my SGH-T759 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.