Bought a used napoleon wood insert. How do i install it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jay415

Dec 28, 2021
California
Hello,

I found this forum by doing lots of searching. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction or provide some tips.

Bought a used 1402, wanted to install it.

1. Heard you need to clean the chimney.
2. Order correct size flexible stainless steel liner. Planning to order a kit with insulation and chimney cap.
3. Take out damper (Sawzall or angled die grinder? )

How much time should it take a dyi-er?
What should I look out for? Potential problems.
Should I hire someone to install it?
Can chimney sweeps do the installation?

Thanks in Advance,
Jay

I installed a Napoleon 1401 basically the same insert except my secondary manifold is welded in place and your fan shrouds are prettier. I installed it my self the fireplace and chimney was very clean like it only burnt gas, so cleaning was a breeze, check the smoke shelf for leaves and debris. Cutting out the damper was quick maybe 20 minutes with a sawsall and had to knock out the top row of fire brick, I used a small sledge hammer. The bricks will usually come out whole if you break the mortar joints. If you have an ash dump or air inlet for the fireplace you will want to seal that off I place sheet metal over mine. I would make the block off plate before you install the insert have it ready to go in, use cardboard for a template. I used lightweight liner approximately 18' I was able to feed it in myself standing on top of the chimney while I had help pulling it down. If you don't want to buy a pulling cone you can make a ball out of old plastic shopping bags and tape that in the open end, pull the stainless mesh over your insulation together and tie a guide rope on that so some one can pull to guide it down the flu.

The 1402/ 1401 sits out on the hearth so you liner will be close to the front of the fire place it makes it a little rough to connect to the insert. I used 3 "L" brackets to hold the appliance adapter to the insert, I attached The" L's" first then screwed through them into the liner. I then fastened my block off plate in place with the liner coming through the hole, make sure you cut the hole 1/2 to 3/34 inch larger to give the liner wiggle room, you can always place some insulation around the gap. To get the liner and adapter seated all the way in the flu collar I had to tilt the insert back towards the fireplace. I placed boards under the front edge tilting the top until it hit the bricks on the sides, let it down slowly, you don't want to damage the liner. You will have to work the liner a bit to get it set where you want it.

I am very happy with my stove usually 9 hours on a burn glass stays pretty clean and will usually burn any soot off on it own when it gets hot. When the secondary kick it good you will see a really cool twin counter rotating vortex in the top its unlike any stove I have seen before, then followed by the lazy blue flames. Hop it goes well and enjoy.

Last edited:
Reactions: clancey and Jay415
Heard you need to clean the chimney.
Yes you do

How much time should it take a dyi-er?
Anywhere from a couple easy hours to a few days of fighting it until you call a pro to do it. (We get one or two a year)

What should I look out for? Potential problems.
What size are your clay liners? Will an insulated liner fit? Are there any offsets?

Should I hire someone to install it?
Possibly it depends how hard the install is, your capabilities, insurance and local requirements etc.

Can chimney sweeps do the installation?
Yes many do.

Reactions: clancey and Jay415
I installed a Napoleon 1401 basically the same insert except my secondary manifold is welded in place and your fan shrouds are prettier. I installed it my self the fireplace and chimney was very clean like it only burnt gas, so cleaning was a breeze, check the smoke shelf for leaves and debris. Cutting out the damper was quick maybe 20 minutes with a sawsall and had to knock out the top row of fire brick, I used a small sledge hammer. The bricks will usually come out whole if you break the mortar joints. If you have an ash dump or air inlet for the fireplace you will want to seal that off I place sheet metal over mine. I would make the block off plate before you install the insert have it ready to go in, use cardboard for a template. I used lightweight liner approximately 18' I was able to feed it in myself standing on top of the chimney while I had help pulling it down. If you don't want to buy a pulling cone you can make a ball out of old plastic shopping bags and tape that in the open end, pull the stainless mesh over your insulation together and tie a guide rope on that so some one can pull to guide it down the flu.

The 1402/ 1401 sits out on the hearth so you liner will be close to the front of the fire place it makes it a little rough to connect to the insert. I used 3 "L" brackets to hold the appliance adapter to the insert, I attached The" L's" first then screwed through them into the liner. I then fastened my block off plate in place with the liner coming through the hole, make sure you cut the hole 1/2 to 3/34 inch larger to give the liner wiggle room, you can always place some insulation around the gap. To get the liner and adapter seated all the way in the flu collar I had to tilt the insert back towards the fireplace. I placed boards under the front edge tilting the top until it hit the bricks on the sides, let it down slowly, you don't want to damage the liner. You will have to work the liner a bit to get it set where you want it.

I am very happy with my stove usually 9 hours on a burn glass stays pretty clean and will usually burn any soot off on it own when it gets hot. When the secondary kick it good you will see a really cool twin counter rotating vortex in the top its unlike any stove I have seen before, then followed by the lazy blue flames. Hop it goes well and enjoy.
@john26Thank so much for the details. My fireplace has decent size opening so hopefully it will be easier to connect the liner. I saw one from Chimney liner depot. Not sure if it is any good. 🤷 Unless someone has a better recommendation.

How many hours did it take you to complete it? I just want to make sure to budget enough time to do it.

20211228_110911.jpg 20211228_111330.jpg 20211228_111345.jpg

Reactions: clancey
Yes you do

Anywhere from a couple easy hours to a few days of fighting it until you call a pro to do it. (We get one or two a year)

What size are your clay liners? Will an insulated liner fit? Are there any offsets?

Possibly it depends how hard the install is, your capabilities, insurance and local requirements etc.

Yes many do.
@bholler Thanks for the pointers. I will climb on the rood and take a peak down the chimney once the rain stops and we get some sunshine.

Reactions: clancey
If you have a relatively easy install situation, all the parts and equipment you need on hand, an extra pair of hands, and some good luck, I'm thinking your average DIYer could get it knocked out in a weekend. But don't count on it--wood stove installation is not something you want to cut corners with. If you're not sure about something make sure to post some pictures for Bholler to check out--he'll let you know if you're in danger of burning your house down!

Reactions: Jay415 and clancey