Bought house with hydronic and need advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Silvercreek

Nov 22, 2021
Stillwater
The house has radiant on the whole main level expect for a small bedroom and living room. The second floor the bathrooms have radiant but the bedrooms do not. The areas without radiant are heated by forced air hydronic handler. The main level radiant thermostat is set at 68 and the air handler thermostat is set at 65. For some reason the main level is staying at 71 degrees.

I suspect the air handler is kicking on in the bedrooms and it’s double heating the main level since it already has thermal mass from the radiant floor. The ducting for whole house is one zone.

I don’t want to turn of the bedroom heat as it will get too cold in the bedrooms. What other options do I have?

You didn’t mention if thermostats are digital.

If not, the main level thermostat may have anticipator set incorrectly. You can set it to shut off heat a few more degrees prematurely to prevent temperature rise above the actual setting if it is a mechanical thermostat by looking at the heating element in it. You can see how the anticipator heating element affects the bimetallic coil shutting the heat off prematurely.

Thermostat for main radiant is google nest which knows it’s a radiant system. Just verified. Air handler is a digital Honeywell. Turned the air handler completely off to see what happens

Where the thermostats are located can make it big difference in this situation.