$$$ Bought Some Dino Today $$$

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BillM2

Dec 23, 2010
Mid-Hudson Valley
Just had a fill-up of oil. We burned 4.1 gal of oil per day since Dec 3, plus about a bag and half of pellets per day since our pellet stove was installed on Dec 23rd costing a total of an estimated $475 per month. I suppose that's relatively not too bad given we're heating hot water, got an old Peerless bolier, the brutal weather, a family of five, an old 2,000 sq ft house and rising costs. This does not include my electric space heaters for the kitchen and root cellar which I would assume cost about $25 per month to keep pipes from freezing and the kitchen at a reasonable temp in the morning. We've been keeping the house at around 68 - 70 degrees during the day and mid 60s at night. I'm guessing that the pellets are saving around at least $100, at most $150, for the period since installation. There were three weeks of oil only usage before the pellet stove was installed so I'm truly guessing on the savings aspect.

Kinda curious what others are burning/spending. I'm in upstate NY, Hudson Valley area, 80 miles north of the city.

No propane use (exept for the wifes cooking). About a bag and a half a day of pellets keeps 2,180 sq ft open layout ranch. Pellet stove is in the middle of the house (70 feet long). Temp stays at 74-76 degrees with the Quad on Low Heat, High Fan. Around $160 a month in Pellets. Electric bill is up $25-$35 from the pellet stove running 24/7, 2 ceiling fans, and our Entreeair corner fans (running at night only). So around $200 a month average. Which is Spectacular compared to my $350 a month LP bill 12 months a year. $4,000 a year? Or $1,000? Love My Pellet Stove. And don't even have my Pellet Furnace hooked up yet. (Boy Scout Camp out this weekend) I'm hiding now to write this!!! Love my Blackberry too!!

floor plan, raised ranch with split foyer. about 2100 sq ft. with stove on lower level. Burned just under 200 gallons in 15 months last year, this year colder so anticipate using more. so about 40 a month for oil for heat and hot water. Pellet use about 5 tons a year.
Oil cost me 2.40 a gallon when I bought it. My pellets are 200-230 a ton.(Last year cost more) so my energy use needs of oil and pellets for heat and hot water is about $130 +- a month figured on a yearly budget. Being retired, the annual cost is the only real effective means to measure expense's. What this does not include in my cost for the electricity to run the stove, or the cost of the stove, hot water heater, or the annual cost of having the furnace and hot water heater serviced. I'm not sure how to factor in all those costs because they are dependent upon the life of the equipment. It all adds up! Had I not gone to pellets, my cost would be much more. I recall spending upward of $300 to $400 a month during the heating season when I was dependent upon oil alone. We were not as warm then either!

Status
Not open for further replies.