Box fan in my wood shed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

scottgcole

Oct 30, 2022
Boston, MA
I’ve finally got 2yr of split wood on-hand (5 cords) but not enough room to stack it all out in the open/sun. I’m gonna need to stash about 1.5-2 cords in a wood shed that will need to be under tree cover and with thick bushes on one side. It won’t get any significant direct sunlight and natural breeze will be somewhat lessened by being against a bush and in a fairly wooded area. I’d also like to stack the wood pretty tight to be efficient on space.

I looked up calculations and it looks like it should only cost about $10-12/month in electricity to run a box fan 24/7, so about $50-60 for the warmest part of the season where I'll get best bang for the buck. Half of that if I only run during the day which might make sense from a relative humidity standpoint. The cost doesn’t convert me, but do people think having a fan on the (already outdoors but in a woodshed) stack 24/7 will help speed up drying times?

Im hoping to put my red oak in the good open sunny spots to give it the most advantage amd be ready in 2yr rather than 3, and my maple and softwoods in the shady spot with a fan since they dry faster. I also have about a cord of wood already at 25% so I figure that stuff going in the "back" shed is also helpful as it doesnt have as far it needs to go as the fresh split stuff.

Thoughts or advice?

Does the woodshed have solid walls or openings that permit the wind to blow through it? If it has good natural ventilation and is situated so that the prevailing winds can blow through the stacked wood, then I wouldn't bother.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I’ve finally got 2yr of split wood on-hand (5 cords) but not enough room to stack it all out in the open/sun. I’m gonna need to stash about 1.5-2 cords in a wood shed that will need to be under tree cover and with thick bushes on one side. It won’t get any significant direct sunlight and natural breeze will be somewhat lessened by being against a bush and in a fairly wooded area. I’d also like to stack the wood pretty tight to be efficient on space.
If you stack the wood pretty tight, you won't get much airflow through the stacks. I think you're better off using any natural airflow, if possible. Can you remove a couple of boards on opposite sides to enhance the airflow? My woodshed is pretty open on three sides for this reason...

empty woodshed.jpg

Reactions: dafattkidd
Does the woodshed have solid walls or openings that permit the wind to blow through it? If it has good natural ventilation and is situated so that the prevailing winds can blow through the stacked wood, then I wouldn't bother.
It has slat walls with pretty large gaps ans an open front BUT my concern is it’s kind of tucked away where I think surrounding foliage cuts down on the wind flowing across it. So it’s has plenty of potential for airflow but I’m worried not much wind to drive it.

Why not run the fan via a couple solar panels?
That was my first thought but when I looked into it most solar powered fans are super weak/small and wouldn’t generate significant air movement and cost about as much or more than the electricity cost anyway. To get a set up powerful enough to run a box fan would cost much more than the electricity!

If you stack the wood pretty tight, you won't get much airflow through the stacks. I think you're better off using any natural airflow, if possible. Can you remove a couple of boards on opposite sides to enhance the airflow? My woodshed is pretty open on three sides for this reason...

View attachment 312053

It has slat walls with pretty large gaps ans an open front BUT my concern is it’s kind of tucked away where I think surrounding foliage cuts down on the wind flowing across it. So it’s has plenty of potential for airflow but I’m worried not much wind to drive it.

My original wood shed is attached to the house at the summer kitchen.
It is totally closed off except for the door to fill it from outside, and the entrance
to the summer kitchen. Wood is stacked in this room in spring (winter cut)
Maple and Red Oak. There is little circulation of air other than natural drafting
By Oct 1 the wood is ready to use 16 to 18% mc
My wood for the furnace is stacked in the loft of my drive shed. It has very
good circulation again natural draft my wood is ready to burn on September 1 with an
mc of 14 to 16 %. Personly If I were you I'd fill that shed and see what the mc is in October
and not bother with the hassle of a box fan. Let Mother Nature do its thing
Just my nickles worth

I have used a box fan to dry wood faster, and it seemed to work. Outside tho I dont know if its worth it. I buy small bundles of wood, but way before I need them. I bring them inside and turn the fan on.....it works for me.

The main drying factors are ambient heat and air movement, and I don't think sun raises the wood temp much at all.
What I would do is have the quicker-drying woods like soft Maple separated and accessible, and if the Oak doesn't quite get there, so be it.
If I didn't have enough wood without the Oak, I'd stack more quick-dry stuff, Red Maple, Pine, Sassafras etc, split small in a single row, broad-sided by the prevailing wind. It will be pretty low in moisture by fall, especially if the summer is hot and dry.
I have used a box fan to dry wood faster, and it seemed to work. Outside tho I dont know if its worth it. I buy small bundles of wood, but way before I need them. I bring them inside and turn the fan on.....it works for me.
It's an older thread--he might have gone into "forum hibernation" for the summer. 😏
But yeah, I once had about a half cord of White Ash stacked in the house with a fan on it. I had split the wood small, and the fan got it from 25% down to 20% in a couple of weeks. The wood was slightly punked though, so maybe the moisture left quicker, I don't know.