Boxing in around this wood stove chimney, second floor. How far away does my framing need to be?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

philipraposo1982

Jul 11, 2022
Nova Scotia
They installed this stove a year ago. I. Doing renovations to the space and now want to enclose this portion of the pipe on the second floor. How far away does the framing need to be from this box/pipe?

Thanks in advance

20220710_143441.jpg 20220710_144029.jpg 20220710_143415.jpg

What piping is being used below the roof support box? Is that class A high temp chimney pipe? What is the red band? I'm not sure what is being used there, but it doesn't look right. This should not be enclosed. The clearance to the class A pipe should be 2" and a firestop should exist at the ceiling.

Normally there would be a ceiling support box between the floors and just the flashing through the roof, but perhaps the second floor was added after that was done

Last edited:
What piping is being used below the support box? Is that class A high temp chimney pipe? What is the red band? I'm not sure what is being used there, but the ceiling penetration is definitely wrong for clearances and firestop. This should not be enclosed. It is unsafe.

The error was using the cathedral ceiling support box for the roof penetration, but perhaps the second floor was added after that was done?
The band says not to insulate above this line. The pipe inside is a class a I believe. It's stainless steel like what run outside.

I will have to reach out to the installers and see what's up. I don't know why they would install this incorrectly, it was a fresh install Last year. They knew at the time I would be refinishing the space and enclosing it.

The band says not to insulate above this line. The pipe inside is a class a I believe. It's stainless steel like what run outside.

I will have to reach out to the installers and see what's up. I don't know why they would install this incorrectly, it was a fresh install Last year. They knew at the time I would be refinishing the space and enclosing it.
What do the tags on the pipe say? It certainly doesn't look like any product I have used in that situation. But we really need to know what product you have

It's ICC Excel chimney. 2" clearance to combustibles is required in the docs I have for this pipe.

Before boxing it in, the hole through the 1st floor ceiling has to be remedied. In the least, the opening needs to have a full 2" clearance from the chimney pipe and there needs to be a firestop surrounding the pipe. Then it can be boxed, no need to insulate it, but if you do insulate between the studs precautions should be followed through for combustible by using unfaced insulation or at least with the paper face on the outside away from the chimney pipe.

Was this installed by a WETT-certified installer?

I don't know there is lots of stuff that looks questionable there

Before boxing it in, the hole through the 1st floor ceiling has to be remedied. In the least, the opening needs to have a full 2" clearance from the chimney pipe and there needs to be a firestop surrounding the pipe. Then it can be boxed, no need to insulate it, but if you do insulate between the studs precautions should be followed through for combustible by using unfaced insulation or at least with the paper face on the outside away from the chimney pipe.
Can you provide me with any photos to use as a reference that shows what your explaining? I am new to this wood stove stuff.

This is not our primary heat source so I thought I would need to insulate the box as that corner is exposed to cold air.

Can you provide me with any photos to use as a reference that shows what your explaining? I am new to this wood stove stuff.

This is not our primary heat source so I thought I would need to insulate the box as that corner is exposed to cold air.
Look up the installation manual for excell pipe