Brace Yourselves, Folks, It's Gonna Be A Bumpy Ride For The Northeast ! ...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dix

Minister of Fire
May 27, 2008
Long Island, NY
https%3A%2F%2Fs.w-x.co%2F0117harpergraphic.jpg

I have a cord on the deck, top covered,1 week in the house (always, 365), 3 days out the back door, top covered, an 8 CF dually wheel barrow by the bottom of the stairs (tarped). 3-5 days in the dog pen, under an overhang.

Stacks are top covered.

Saturday, I'll refill the back deck, and the wheel barrow, again. And totally clean out the PE, boost baffle included.

:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: vinny11950
Yeah, there is nothing like a bit of weather to make me start to act like a squirrel storing nuts (or wood in this case) for the winter. Even though I know that there is 99% chance that it will be relatively anticlimactic, I really like being prepared for that 1%--knowing that my family will be warm and have a means to cook food is worth it. And if the zombies show up...well, I have a plan for that too :)

Reactions: WiscWoody and Dix
Yeah, there is nothing like a bit of weather to make me start to act like a squirrel storing nuts (or wood in this case) for the winter. Even though I know that there is 99% chance that it will be relatively anticlimactic, I really like being prepared for that 1%--knowing that my family will be warm and have a means to cook food is worth it. And if the zombies show up...well, I have a plan for that too :)

My daughter & I have a zombie plan, as well :p

We stayed out late last night to get the stash prepared. It's gonna rain and snow this weekend, then freeze everything solid late Sunday night with single digit temps. Yuck.

We might even need burn some natural gas next week. Bummer.

Reactions: Dix
The 2015 winter bonanza kicked-off at the end of January if I remember correctly.

The 2015 winter bonanza kicked-off at the end of January if I remember correctly.

Yes. I posted in another winter thread that we reached the end of January 2015 year, and I thought I might not use the snow blower all season. Ended up with 120" here between Boston and Worcester that year.

My snow blower started with the first pull yesterday. I usually run the gas out of it and change the oil every season. Didn't run the gas out of it last spring and never changed the oil since I used it only a couple of times last winter.

Left drive wheel isn't working, which I knew about. Need to look at that later today.

Make sure I have my gas can full, check. Make sure I have wood in the bulkhead, check. Make sure my generator I have never needed to use since I bought it in 2001 is still in the garage, check. Roof rake ready to pull the snow off my solar panels, check. That's about it but sit back an be glad I don't have to drive anywhere for a few days.

I'll believe it when I see it. They've been wrong before. Nevertheless, I brought in a week's worth of pellets and am going out in a minute to fill the gas cans. Getting the camp stove out, in case the power fails, and we have plenty of wood for the fireplace, if we need it.

Saturday, I'll refill the back deck, and the wheel barrow, again. And totally clean out the PE, boost baffle included.
If you are cleaning the flue be sure to remember to stuff a rag in the secondary tube first.

Usually after it snows here, there's a short window where the wind is calm, and generally more amenable to snow blowing.
When that wind kicks up and blows the snow into your face, woof!

If you are cleaning the flue be sure to remember to stuff a rag in the secondary tube first.

Did that last month when a Buddy & I cleaned the chimney. He worked the top, I pulled the chain from the bottom (brush on a chain works better for me, with the bend in the liner coming out of the insert & into the liner).

The boost baffle in the front of the PE (above the air control, inside the firebox front) is very, very key to burning in it. It must be clean for optimum burns.

I grew up in the Portland Maine area. We had a fair share or winter storms that would start out as heavy snow and change to rain and then freeze. Cars would pack down the snow before it could be plowed and it would freeze in place. I will take snow where I live up in the moutnains over Ice or snow/ice anytime.

The moose in NH are having a rough go of it during warm winters due to winter ticks. The only thing that really helps is extended stretches of cold weather so we need the cold stretches.

Jim Cantore is in Boston and just flubbed again. There was a graphic on the screen of cancelled flights. He was questioning why so many flights had been cancelled out of Boston, Adding that he is there, and the weather is fine. Duh! You just spent days covering a storm going across the country. If flights are cancelled across the country and flights to Boston don't show up, flights out of Boston are cancelled. What a twit.

Reactions: vinny11950 and Dix
Jim Cantore is in Boston and just flubbed again. There was a graphic on the screen of cancelled flights. He was questioning why so many flights had been cancelled out of Boston, Adding that he is there, and the weather is fine. Duh! You just spent days covering a storm going across the country. If flights are cancelled across the country and flights to Boston don't show up, flights out of Boston are cancelled. What a twit.

He can stay in Bpston, that's fine :p

He gets discussed on an OBX forum I'm on. He is prohibited from broadcasting hurricanes from some towns due to his sensationalism. He will only talk with you if you are female, young, blond, and attractive.

The airlines usually don't like to risk getting their aircraft trapped at an airport/region and adjust early. I had to get from OH to Logan one time inn February with an ice storm coming up the east coast. The airlines were cancelling flights a day before anything was happening in the northeast.

I don't know how anyone can watch the weather channel anymore. Too many movie stars and it reminds me more of MTV than a news show.

The airlines usually don't like to risk getting their aircraft trapped at an airport/region and adjust early. I had to get from OH to Logan one time inn February with an ice storm coming up the east coast. The airlines were cancelling flights a day before anything was happening in the northeast.

I don't know how anyone can watch the weather channel anymore. Too many movie stars and it reminds me more of MTV than a news show.

The last straw for me was when they started naming winter storms as if they were hurricanes.

Reactions: velvetfoot
Wife says they downgraded the snow totals to 7-14 inches, but they're calling for some icing. Pretty sure we're already over 7 inches. Went out to do the first plowing . . . at least until the cold and wind drove me back inside the toasty warm house. Here it looks like it has changed over from snow to sleet.

. . . at least until the cold and wind drove me back inside …

Wasn't that bad here in eastern MA. It was cold, but I wore ski pants and jacket, and wore a balaclava and ski goggles. My problem is that I cut two fingers on my left hand pretty badly 20 years ago, and the fingertips have poor circulation. I have to wear mittens when it is very cold, not gloves.

We got about a foot of snow. Currently in the single digits with some good wind gusts and the ice pellets are bouncing off the windows...