Branches

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
branches are BTU... all depends on how much work you wantt to do. Smaller stuff I toss into the wood chipper and use as mulch. Chunks of wood I toss into brown bags and let dry, then toss the bags into the fire from time to time.

Flatbedford said:
Thigh for me.

I prefer the breast . . . we are talking about which part of the fried chicken we like best, right? :)

Still thigh.

if im scrounging ill usually save 4" and up. if i gotta clean up branches off my own properties ill save 1-1/2" and above.

I can get tired cutting and picking up heavier chunks of wood so it depends on how much energy and how much wood I actually have. Btu ratings are derived by the estimated weight of wood. It certainly would be difficult to get a bunch of small branches to weigh the same as a full cord of split or rounds in the same alotted space but pound for pound branches weigh the same (but take up more space). Kind of like pine wihch has one of the highest btu rates per pound. You have to throw more to get the poundage. So... if the stuff us relatively straight I cut down to 1-1 1/2". That stuff is real easy for the wife to throw into the boiler when I can get her to throw the stuff at something besides me :eek:hh:

Like many posters have all ready stated it all depends on how much wood or time you have on hand,I believe it makes a lot of sense especially for a first year burner to make use of the available and often unwanted small stuff simply because it dries faster and if your on a low budget you can do a lot of harvesting with a pair of loppers and a bow saw.

Any branches I want I can get from my own property. When I'm cutting in the National Forest I'll limit myself to the larger rounds. It does take a lot of time to fill up the truck with just small branches!

firefighterjake said:
All wood burns and makes heat . . . it's largely a matter of how much wood you need and how much work you want to invest . . . once the wood gets down to 2 inches or less it's not worth my time and effort to cut it, stack it, move it, etc.

Amen! Everyone has a different "break even" point; the point where your time, energy, & costs are more than the reward. The time spent cleaning up small branches, cutting to size and stacking can far outweigh the amount of btu's in one 18" round. When my Dad had trees taken down this summer, he asked me how small of stuff to save; my answer was the same - small enough that it doesn't cause extra work by the tree service to save it. They agreed and said it was 6". Perfect!
Unless you have no other alternatives or the branches are clear of the smaller twigs, etc, it doesn't make a lot of sense to spend that time.

Also depends on how small you split stuff. If you split down to 4" then you may be ahead by cutting 4" rounds and not having to spend the time to split and double handle a bigger round!

Status
Not open for further replies.