Brand New Burner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Labfriend

Dec 23, 2018
Virginia
After some obstacles I have finally had an insert, Enviro Boston, installed.

I have had a fireplace before and I wanted something that would actually provide some heat for this unheated part of the house.

I started my first fire this morning and got some smoke in the room but that cleared out quick and the wood has caught well.

I will try to post updates and hope for advice as I go along. I will post pictures if I can figure that out.

Hi! To make the smoke go in the right direction, you need positive draft. Warm up your flue if you are starting the fire on a warm day. Some people use a blowtorch, hair dryer, paint stripper, or small kindling fire.

Top down works good for that. Nice little kindling.

I was assuming it was curing smoke, which is normal.

One of my favorite inserts. Like weatherguy said, the smoke is probably the paint baking in. That should pass after a couple fires where the stove gets up to full temperature.

I have the same stove and it's great! I've been running it 24/7. It is our primary heat for our 1600 square foot home. Never had any smoke spillage. As others have said it was probably the paint curing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the replays. It definatley was not curing. The room filled with smoke. Operator error I am thinking. That was fun.

Today I warmed the flu for a while and it drew the smoke perfectly. I am got a lot of black/grey smoke out of the chimney for the first 20 or 30 minutes but I am assuming that is normal on a cold start.

I hope everyone is having a good Christmas.