Brand new stove under $600 will usa suppliers be able to compete

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't imagine they would even want to try to compete, I also couldn't imagine buying one, parts procurement would make me real hesitant and with all the lead stuff they put in everything that seems to come this way from china I don't think I would take a chance. JMO

It still needs to be shipped over here via cargo ship than the container will have to travel by train to a rail yard then by truck to get to the distributor than via another truck to the dealer...that stuff ain't free.

I priced getting a "sample" 5k Fu Man Chu generator shipped here...$585.00 to Chicago... i have to either pick it up there or have it shipped from there.

Interested in a Yugo? There cheap also. That idea didn't go too good.

Tom C.

Well you get you pay for, good luck ever getting parts for that thing.

Even our "brand name" stove have lots of Chi-Com parts in them today...sad but true. Quads have Chinese castings and other Chinese parts... I was pleasantly surprised to hear that Master Lock in Milwaukee brought back 100 jobs from China recently and even more "in-sourcing" is likely. Quality has been an on-going issue... several years ago they shipped hundreds of jobs to Mexico but got stung there, too.

smoke show said:
silverfox103 said:
Interested in a Yugo? There cheap also. That idea didn't go too good.

Tom C.

Who ya askin?

Just asking anyone that thinks that $600 stove from China can compete!

I guess only time will tell.

Some china stuff is obsolute crap, and some isn't.

I seriously doubt it - unless there would be a very strong parts and dealer distribution chain. But that costs money, which would probably undermine the very idea of a $600 price point.

there is no way US can compete but everyone buys 90% of there everyday items that come from china.... like oil filters, air filters wiper blades some tires loads of toys tools ect ect ect. I would asume places like Ace hardware Harbor frieght Sears will carry an item like that, maybe even the big box stores.

We get a lot more expensive equipment from China. Air compressors, generators, and other tools that need servicing not to mention the electronics. I don't see anything short of a tariff getting in the way of the introduction this or any other product that undersells our current domestic market. Can even understand a current domestic producer outsourcing a favorite product. it's all about profit. You and I can hold out, but that won't halt this sort of thing. Anyone own a foreign made car???

Since you probably have to buy a shipping container full of them there are probably several U.S. suppliers that would sell you a tractor trailer load of their pellet stoves for six hundred apiece.

Some will buy them, some will get good ones and some will have problems that cannot be solved due to lack of part and support. I buy the best I can afford, parts and support mean a lot to me, so I don't buy a lot of Chinese stuff due to this. I have never been hurt buying quality regardless of price. RT

jmcp said:

I'd be real hesitant to buy one, $600 spent on Chinese junk is still wasted that breaks after a season, even if it is cheap, but on the other hand the iPad I'm using was made in china.

Stuff built in the us can be junk too, just saying.

Buy quality first, price second.

It's also not real attractive, i feel it'd be like gathering around a dehumidifier for christmas, lol.

if it last as long as typical chinese junk, you should get a good month out of it, hopefully the poisonous paint wont harm you by then

The current distribution for them is going to keep them real limited. But if TSC or Wal-Mart start to carry them, they will be everywhere and there will be parts for them. All it takes is for the price of oil to keep going up and demand to keep rising for these types of stoves, and they will be in every big box store in the USA.

forya said:
The current distribution for them is going to keep them real limited. But if TSC or Wal-Mart start to carry them, they will be everywhere and there will be parts for them. All it takes is for the price of oil to keep going up and demand to keep rising for these types of stoves, and they will be in every big box store in the USA.
Bang on.

We can all cry loudly about the poor quality of foreign made goods, but the bottom line is this: many people will walk by one at the Home Cheapo and say "I've always wanted a pellet stove, and for only $600!" Just prepare yourselves for the flood of "The auger in my LuckyNow Pallet stove won't turn. Now what?"

On the upside, with all the new pellet stoves on the market, pellet prices & availability is sure to improve.

forya said:

That's why China is sucking up all the oil they can.To get the price up so we'll buy these pellet stoves,makes sense now lol

It looks like they some what copied the Forester model previously sold in Tractor supply stores. Probably just as good considering that model had a simple flat sheet metal heat exchanger or what they considered a heat exchanger.
The problem with chinese goods is they are almost there but they lack that extra 20% in workmanship,quality control ,and quality of materials. If they put a bit extra into these things their things would be competitive on all levels . They would be able to get that extra 20% in increased prices and still outsell the rest of the world.
Copying or reverse engineering anything the rest of the world produces is easy. They are experts at that. They simply fail to make high quality stuff for some strange reason, and labor costs isn`t one of them

Status
Not open for further replies.