Brand New VC Encore Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

labans

Dec 31, 2020
Central Texas
Just received my new Encore stove and installed it and lit the first fire. It is a truly beautiful stove and is cat/non-cat. 550 lbs, whew. One issue I ran into right away is that the manual tells one to "season" the stove by building the 3-4 fires "small." I don't know what a "small" fire is and cannot find any proper info on the subject. What I have done on this first fire is to keep the temp level on the top of the stove to 400 or less where it has been for the last couple of hours. I won't be able to measure pipe temp until I get the right kind of thermometer due to the fact that the entire 23' of straight pipe is double insulated.
I would appreciate some specific info!!

What I did when I did my break in fires was start very small with the first one.. stove may have gotten to 300 and.let it go out.. next was a little bigger and went to 400 or so and.let.it go out. the last was a bigger fire and went to 500 to 550 and let it burn for a bit. Crack the windows as your breaking in the paint on it and it will smell some..
There is a specific thread for us... titled

VC owners thread...
If you post on that it will let us know there's a new post and your get some pretty quick responses
welcome aboard..

Good insight on the starter fires. Three of four of these and you are good to go. Let it rip. Hopefully things are a bit back to normal in Texas....

I was told 200, 300, 400 for the first 3 fires, But I couldn't get my first fire to stay below 350 because I added too much fuel. Oh well, the stove is fine.

Do be prepared for the stink of curing paint once you get it above 400-500. You may need to open the windows for a few hours. When I did mine it created an eye watering haze throughout the house that I was not prepared for.