Brave log splitter repower.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

warbonnet

Oct 22, 2015
eastern Pa.
My log splitter sat too long and of course the carb was fouled up. Prompted me to look over the whole motor. This splitter has been used hard for many years and owes me nothing. Wiring dried out, low compression, a little leaky, etc. just an old tired Briggs and Stratton. Started looking up parts and found that I could by a whole brand new Briggs and Stratton motor for 170$ shipped to my door. Needless to say my splitter is now repowered. 😎

My log splitter sat too long and of course the carb was fouled up. Prompted me to look over the whole motor. This splitter has been used hard for many years and owes me nothing. Wiring dried out, low compression, a little leaky, etc. just an old tired Briggs and Stratton. Started looking up parts and found that I could by a whole brand new Briggs and Stratton motor for 170$ shipped to my door. Needless to say my splitter is now repowered. 😎
Had the same thing happen to me a few years back. I was lucky enough to find a 6 horse honda at the local Tractor Supply. Someone had ordered it and it didn't fit thier application. They had it marked down 50% and I was able to bring it home for $165 including tax. Slightly more power and its a Honda so should last me for years

Had the same thing happen to me a few years back. I was lucky enough to find a 6 horse honda at the local Tractor Supply. Someone had ordered it and it didn't fit thier application. They had it marked down 50% and I was able to bring it home for $165 including tax. Slightly more power and its a Honda so should last me for years
GC, GS, or a GX series engine?
Most people don't realize that Honda makes three different grades of small engines...the GC is the homeowner line, the GX is the commercial line, and the GS is kinda in between the previous 2...

Reactions: warbonnet
GC, GS, or a GX series engine?
Most people don't realize that Honda makes three different grades of small engines...the GC is the homeowner line, the GX is the commercial line, and the GS is kinda in between the previous 2...
Got the homeowner version. Guess that'll work since I'm a homeowner. 🤣

20240211_163227.jpg

I actually have a vertical shaft Honda here that I thought about swapping it out with, but the Briggs was a direct bolt on. Bolt pattern the same, shaft diameter and length identical. Didn’t have to mess with anything including the lovejoy. It’s the 875 professional series,
I had to drill new holes for the motor mounts, but the shaft diameter and length was just what I needed. Besides replacing hoses no other repairs have been made to the splitter. I inherited it from my grandfather who bought it in the 80's. It isn't fast, but gets the job done

I repowered my splitter with a Honda GX240 I got from my cousin. It was leaking fuel into the oil if you left the fuel shutoff turned on when the engine was off. I just run it out of fuel every time I use it. No big deal.
It actually works out good that way since I don’t use it for months at a time.

The splitter had an old (really, really old) 8hp Briggs before. The Honda is definitely a sweeter engine.

My splitter has a horizontal shaft, belt drive setup. It was home built from train track parts in the 1970’s

Reactions: Bobbob
I just run it out of fuel every time I use it. No big deal.
It actually works out good that way since I don’t use it for months at a time.
That's how I shut off all my small engines...just shut the fuel off and let them run out...no forgetting to turn the switch back on then either!

Reactions: DonTee and Bobbob