Breaking in a new (to me) old stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NewStoveGuy

Jul 11, 2014
The South
It's 71 degrees in here in the upper south right now, but the leaves are falling and we had a cold snap last week that almost required a light. I'm ithcin' to fire up the new (to me) used Fireview.

The stove is a 2003 that's seen some action but hasn't been used in a while. I bought it from a guy who inherited it with a house purchase but never used it himself. I checked it out, dollar bill tested the gasket (which was in great shape), and installed a new cat (still had the old crumbling ceramic).

Do old stoves that sit for a while need re-breaking-in with "break-in" fires? Or can I just dive into heating the house when the time comes?

Thanks folks.

Yes, it is advised to do a couple small break-in fires at the beginning of the season for a soapstone stove. Do a kindling fire first and let it die out. Then do a fire with 4-5 small 2" splits and let that die out. Then you should be good to go for the season.

Thanks BG.

Just curious what the reason for that would be? Burning off accumulated dust, driving off moisture absorbed by the stone, or something else. Can't imagine the paint needing and extra curing.

Theory being to slowly dry out moisture absorbed when idle for a long period of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.