Breaking-in an MS 280

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mecreature

Minister of Fire
Dec 16, 2010
indiana
I ran 4 tanks thru this weekend w/fresh gas/stihl oil mix.
Sharp chain and plenty of bar oil. Everything seems to be on the up.

I took it pretty easy. Didn't rev it out of the wood at all. I cut a about a cord of cherry, walnut, mulberry.
Then cut up some big maple. Buried the bar but kept the rpms down as low as possible for the most part.

Gave it a good clean up.

Am I good to go from here on out.

BTW: I love the saw it ran and cut like a champ IMO...

Not hard to beat a 42cc poulan pro though.

What do you do to break in a new chainsaw? Any tips are sure welcomed.

mecreature said:
I ran 4 tanks thru this weekend w/fresh gas/stihl oil mix.
Sharp chain and plenty of bar oil. Everything seems to be on the up.

I took it pretty easy. Didn't rev it out of the wood at all. I cut a about a cord of cherry, walnut, mulberry.
Then cut up some big maple. Buried the bar but kept the rpms down as low as possible for the most part.

Gave it a good clean up.

Am I good to go from here on out.

BTW: I love the saw it ran and cut like a champ IMO...

Not hard to beat a 42cc poulan pro though.

What do you do to break in a new chainsaw? Any tips are sure welcomed.

I'd say you have done better than 99% of the population of new saw buyers. As long as you don't run it like a rented mule for the first couple tanks that's about all you can do.

Some people argue that you should run the pi$$ out of a 2-stroke engine during break-in because of how it seats the rings...and that seating gives you more power. I think that might be a bunch of BS, but I'm not a mechanic or engineer.

Run it like you would run it. Enjoy the new saw.

I have read the run it like you stole it philosophy.
Figured I would take it a bit easy the first few tanks.

I will try not to bit off more then I can chew for a while with it.

It sure runs smooth.

MS280 is a sweet machine indeed. Very easy on the operator. I agree with not extensively running it at WOT no-load. Short bursts before entering the cut are OK and you really would have to try to hurt that saw anyways. For new equipment I make sure the mix is fresh and things are clean. Proper cooling and lubrication are always critical but even more so when engines are new.

Three things that promote chainsaw longevity:
1. Keep chain razor-sharp. Spitting dust (vice chips)? Stop and file or swap chain.
2. High-speed mixture adj so that it 4-strokes w/no load & 2-strokes under load @WOT. Minimize no-load running @WOT.
3. Keep cyl fins clean & keep cooling-air path clean. Run engine @ fast idle before & after cutting.

It's good to shake up mix before pouring into saw's tank. Keeps oil mixed.

good advice.. CTY.

I didn't want to baby it too much, people were watching.

I am with you TreePointer on the WOT. With a good mix it should be fine. Has worked on my 9.9 Merc for years.

I went into the shop intent on getting the 391. I looked it over real good and the 311 and 290. they all felt heavy and bulky.
that didn't bother me too much. I grabbed a 261, it was nice. After a bit I was holding the 280 and asked if I could fire it up.
We went outside and that was it. it felt great. I have been all over the place with what to get from the 250 to the 391. The 50cc range
seemed to be the most logical real world saw size for me.

Time will tell if I made the right choice.

Now I want to get an old, or well not so old saw and do a MM, just for fun. The sales guy said hey I have a 290 that runs great over here.
Its been gone through and you can have it for 100 bucks. Not the best looking gal but she works for gas. I laughed but now have been wonderin. :zip:

Status
Not open for further replies.