Breaking in the 1900P

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trog04

Oct 29, 2012
Front Range Colorado
So I have the final county inspection tomorrow, and then I'll be good to fire it up!! (no Colorado pot jokes ;))
My question is about the break in fires. I read in the manual that the first 2 or 3 fires should be small hot fires that only use kindling to cure the fire brick. How much kindling is recommended? it has a 3.0cu/ft box, and I could cram a ton in there. I know that's not the way to do it, but just looking for a rough guide as to how big the fires need to be. How long should I keep the fires going (reloading with kindling), and should the stove cool completely before doing it again.

It says in the manual that it will take 30 to 40 hours of hot fires ( in excess of 500-600 degrees) before the stove perfoms normally. I'm guessing those are full load fires to keep the heat up and going for hours at a time.

Just don't load it to the gills and walk away. Probably a 1/3 load max, starting with kindling, once that starts burning down, start adding some smaller to med pieces. I'd let the stove top get up to 400-450 even 475 then let it go cool. Do that a few times and that is more than ample.

I really think they just don't want a new user to load the thing up before seeing what a small fire does. To me, the break in fire is really more for the operator to gain some experience than for the stove.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.