Breckwell P23I Auger Motor Replacement Won't Turn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SAMcNerney

Nov 9, 2021
Sherman, CT
I'm overhauling my P23I pellet stove. I have the manual for the stove with a list of replacement parts in it. I ordered a new auger motor from Stove & Grill Parts For Less. The new motor came and when I hooked it up in the stove, my pellet stove would no longer show as ready to start. Typically, I push the start button and a green light will come on and it will start to feed pellets into the stove. With this motor, I got no response from the button and the manual feed would not do anything. I put the old motor back in and everything worked again.

They kindly replaced the motor for me. The new one still will not turn once installed. At least with this one I push the start button and the green light comes on, but it never feeds any pellets, either automatically or by pushing the manual feed button. Again, putting the old one back makes everything work again.

I proceeded to bench test both new motors. They both spin up fine when supplied directly with power from an outlet. I can't understand why neither of them will work once installed in the stove.

The part number I ordered was C-E-017. This is the part listed in the manual. Anyone have any thoughts as to why this might be happening? I don't have faith that the old motor will last for much longer.

With the motor out can you turn the auger by hand?
I know stupid question
Welcome to the forum

Nothing wrong with the motors, probably something you caused.
Any thoughts on what that could be? It seems strange to me that the original motor continues to work normally but the replacements don't. I would think if I damaged something disconnecting 2 wires from the old one and reconnecting them in the same order to the new ones, everything would work identically.

Any thoughts on what that could be? It seems strange to me that the original motor continues to work normally but the replacements don't. I would think if I damaged something disconnecting 2 wires from the old one and reconnecting them in the same order to the new ones, everything would work identically.
Ah,i missed that, about the old one. Sorry

I know there were 2 different motors, a 1 rpm and a 4 rpm. But I think that was the only differences.

I know there were 2 different motors, a 1 rpm and a 4 rpm. But I think that was the only differences.
I believe the 1 rpm is listed at 17 amps and the 4 rpm is listed at 10 amps. If this stove needs the 4 rpm one, is it possible it's not delivering enough amps to run the 1 rpm ones?

That would be 1.7 and 1.0 amps. Plug motors into wall and time/count the revolutions.
OK, took your advice and pulled the old motor from the stove. The old motor takes almost exactly 1 minute to make a full revolution. The new motors each take closer to 1 minute 30 seconds for a complete revolution. So I'd say in either case, the motors are each supposed to be the 1 rpm motors. So I don't think this is the problem. This is baffling.

Just an observation. I assume "The new motors each take closer to 1 minute 30 seconds for a complete revolution" was meant with the motor on the bench and no auger or any other load connected. That is suspicious. It's been a while that I installed a new auger motor in our Breckwell P23i but as far as I remember it is a shade pole type motor. Without a load those are supposed to run at the exact RPM they were designed for, not 30% slower. Even with a hard load they either run very close to their design speed or they stall. Therefore, it is possible that both replacement motors are defective.

Yes you are correct in your assumption Joerg, the problem is the chinese aftermarket motors that are half the price do not meet the exact specs of the stove manufactures. Some run slower some are faster. And it does make a difference with the burn.