BRECKWELL P24I Issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adamztoyz

Oct 27, 2008
Western New York
Hi,

I am new to burning pellets and got a good deal on a used Breckwell P24 insert. It has worked great until this last week where the flame keeps going on when I leave it. When I come back after an hour or two there's a huge pile of pellets in the burn pot and obviously no flame. I have adjusted the damper rod and left it out about 1/4 inch as the manual says online and it appears this is when it goes out. Is there too much draft? It has become very windy outside around here and didn't know if there was a draft down the chimney affecting it? I have been getting a darker soot on the three windows and it does get smokey inside the insert at times and read perhaps that a door gasket may need to be replaced? I don't know. Also for the past few weeks I have had the opposite issue where there haven't been many pellets dropping. I bought some aluminum polish and some steel wool and was going to try to smooth it out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Did you drop a liner all the way down the chimney? What is your chimney? What is your venting?
What are you using for intake air?
Damper only a 1/4" out? Please give the fire some air. Remember your fire triangle HEAT, FUEL, AIR
One the control board what position is your toggle switch in?
Let me know or call

Eric
330-876-0200

Hi,

I just pm'd you. It is in a masonry fireplace with the vertical 3" stainless steel flexpipe from the back of the insert to the chimney cap with a cap on top. I had an a guy who used to install put it in. He did take the door off of the ash clean out from the firebox I assume for air intake? I am starting to think I needed to pull the damper out more which I did last night and it burned for about 4 hrs without a problem and then it went out. There was a huge pile of pellets rising above the pot. I restarted it after cleaning out the pellets and about 2 1/2 hrs later it started to go out again with no pellets dropping. I am wondering if I should steel wool and then either tape or polish the hopper in hopes that it helps. The inside of the hopper has silicone especially near the auger so I am wondering if they are getting hung up and not dropping. Pellets seem to be not dropping daily then I have to go and move them around and help some in the auger. The auger is turning and is not jammed. Any help would be great. Thanks

adamztoyz said:
Hi,

I just pm'd you. It is in a masonry fireplace with the vertical 3" stainless steel flexpipe from the back of the insert to the chimney cap with a cap on top. I had an a guy who used to install put it in. He did take the door off of the ash clean out from the firebox I assume for air intake? I am starting to think I needed to pull the damper out more which I did last night and it burned for about 4 hrs without a problem and then it went out. There was a huge pile of pellets rising above the pot. I restarted it after cleaning out the pellets and about 2 1/2 hrs later it started to go out again with no pellets dropping. I am wondering if I should steel wool and then either tape or polish the hopper in hopes that it helps. The inside of the hopper has silicone especially near the auger so I am wondering if they are getting hung up and not dropping. Pellets seem to be not dropping daily then I have to go and move them around and help some in the auger. The auger is turning and is not jammed. Any help would be great. Thanks

If you are getting black soot then it is a Draft issue
Air leak from the door or ash pan or NOT DRAFTING
HOW TALL IS YOUR LINER?
if you are OVER 15 feet best to have 4" pipe
you could have the 3" flex just around the damper then run 4" duravent Ridged to the top.

If the pellets stop feeding it could be a week auger motor, Lots of Long pellets or sawdust or the Pressure switch is tripping.

There is lots of trouble shooting on the YELLOW sticky links pages at the top of the Pellet room.

When I pulled the insert out to clean the other day there wasn't a pipe running down to the old ash removal for air intake. The installer took the cover off and left it off and I am guessing that's how it gets air as well as from the sides of the insert. Is there supposed to be a air flex pipe going into it? I have around 21 foot of flex pipe as I did order the 25 foot piece and some was cut off. I will check the pages that have troubleshooting because I am not sure how to find out if the door gasket is good or not. I did use the stove last night and just got the grayish light brown soot which I guessis normal and not black this time plus I did increase the draft quite a bit so it may have been the slow burn causing the soot with no real draft. Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.