Breckwell Pellet Stove Lighting Issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rafter2S

Sep 22, 2016
oregon
I have a Breckwell Big E Pellet stove that I am having issues with it lighting. It I hooked up to a thermostat and when it is running seems to run good. Once the room reaches temps turn it turn off but then it is hit or miss if it will light again. When I come to the stove the burn pot is empty and the #3 light is flashing. I have replaced the proof of fire thermo disc and the supply air fan. Verified it is getting the call from the thermostat. When push the on/off button stove will ignore and run good till room reached temperature. Did the complete cleaning and still having issues. Any idea why would cause the stove to trip out and not light?

Well,you need to be there when it is calling for heat,to start, and see if the combustion fan starts and runs. If not, you probably have a control board problem.
If it does start and run, but does not feed pellets, still could be control board, but could also be a vacuum switch acting up.
If seems like you cannot "catch" the stove, when trying to start, you could always temporarily bypass the vacuum switch.
Also, check and clean all electrical connections.

Well,you need to be there when it is calling for heat,to start, and see if the combustion fan starts and runs. If not, you probably have a control board problem.
If it does start and run, but does not feed pellets, still could be control board, but could also be a vacuum switch acting up.
If seems like you cannot "catch" the stove, when trying to start, you could always temporarily bypass the vacuum switch.
Also, check and clean all electrical connections.
Thank you for the response. I have tried to be there when it acts up but seem to be intermittent. I thought it was a lighting issue but seems to light but trips of at some point while it’s running. Makes sense why the burn pot didn’t have any issues. I am assuming just a jumper to bypass the vacuum switch?

If it were me i would keep it on a maintenance flame instead of shutting right down. Especially i don't know about you but for me the ignitor is a real PIA to change.

Another thing that could be happening is it is relighting and depending on where you have you setting the flame is not getting enough pellets and going out.. Its rare on these stoves to have a intermittent issue like that these things are almost bullet proof.

If it were me i would keep it on a maintenance flame instead of shutting right down. Especially i don't know about you but for me the ignitor is a real PIA to change.

Another thing that could be happening is it is relighting and depending on where you have you setting the flame is not getting enough pellets and going out.. Its rare on these stoves to have an intermittent issue like that these things are almost bullet proof.
This has been a solid stove that performs well. Simple operation and seems to just work. I had it on level 3 but dropped it to 2 to see if that helps. Seems weird that it runs good but acts like it is running out of pellets. I adjusted the feed rate all the way up.

This has been a solid stove that performs well. Simple operation and seems to just work. I had it on level 3 but dropped it to 2 to see if that helps. Seems weird that it runs good but acts like it is running out of pellets. I adjusted the feed rate all the way up.

I finally caught the stove acting up but it hadn’t tripped out yet. It’s acting like the stove isn’t calling for pellets. Checked the sensors, vacuumed sensor was closed, High temp was closed and Proof of fire was closed as well. I tried to push the feed button but the stove wouldn’t respond. I don’t see any sensors or relays for the auger, what could I be missing? Hopping it isn’t a bad control board

was the feed light coming on? if not i would say you have a random issue with the board or thermostat. Does it do it if you toss it in manual mode and just put the heat on 1 when you leave?

was the feed light coming on? if not i would say you have a random issue with the board or thermostat. Does it do it if you toss it in manual mode and just put the heat on 1 when you leave?
The feed light wasn’t coming on, even when I Manuela pushed the button the feed light would come on. Pushed the on button and has worked since. What are the signs of a bad vacuume valve?

What are the signs of a bad vacuume valve
Pellets will not feed
But there are other causes
Maybe covered but is the combustion fan running when it calls for heat?

Maybe covered but is the combustion fan running when it calls for heat?
If the stove is off and there is a call for heat does the combustion fan start?

I finally caught the stove acting up but it hadn’t tripped out yet. It’s acting like the stove isn’t calling for pellets. Checked the sensors, vacuumed sensor was closed, High temp was closed and Proof of fire was closed as well. I tried to push the feed button but the stove wouldn’t respond. I don’t see any sensors or relays for the auger, what could I be missing? Hopping it isn’t a bad control board
Sounds like the control board is freaking out at times. Also, pellet stove control boards are not well insulated, sometimes adding someting wireless to the room or house can cause intermittent issues.