Brick chimney end in attic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jkuf

Oct 22, 2021
So I am looking at putting a wood stove in my basement and venting through the old brick chimney. My question is what to do since the chimney has been removed from the roof and about a foot down inside the attic. Is this where I would need an anchor plate? Is there any reason I can't just run double walled, insulated a-vent straight up the chimney and through the roof. Sorry for the dumb questions.

So I am looking at putting a wood stove in my basement and venting through the old brick chimney. My question is what to do since the chimney has been removed from the roof and about a foot down inside the attic. Is this where I would need an anchor plate? Is there any reason I can't just run double walled, insulated a-vent straight up the chimney and through the roof. Sorry for the dumb questions.
If there is room you could in theory run class a through the chimney. But why? A liner to an adapter/anchor plate will be much easier and cheaper.

Rockford Chimney is reliable. WoodlandDirect.com sells some good liners too.