Broken auger pin

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Just me

Jan 8, 2018
Michigan
Hi there, need some feedback- I have a pleasant hearth PH50CABPS pellet stove, for about the past 2 weeks it's has been breaking the auger pin repeatedly. I have removed the auger shield and vacuumed out the auger, I have cleaned the chimney. I have vacuumed behind the panels and Ash pot, and I'm not sure why they keep breaking. The other day I was putting in a new pin and shorted it out even! Now the blower stays on all the time... So.. 2 questions, why does the pin keep breaking? And do you think I need a new control board?
I've had nothing but problems w this pellet stove, it is 3 yrs old, and I am regretting ever buying it every day of these frigid temps here in Michigan...

Try removing pellets and pulling auger motor assembly off. Then turn by hand to see if auger is catching on something causing breakage of pin. If not this then try running softer pellets like MWP made in Grayling Mi. Pellets like Pro Pellets are great but very hard, possibly causing binding, that or your pellets are too long also binding up auger.

Be sure to unplug it first..

You might find some strange stuff end up in the bottom of the hopper. Only thing i had that sheared the pin on my big e was a screw that made it into the bag of pellets. From the plant

Kids toys too...if you have them.

I know this post is a bit old, but i am having the same problem, cant find anything causing it to bind, just put a new motor on it two weeks ago and have broken 3 pins, broke 2 before the new motor, did you find the problem? I hate this stove, i am pretty much set on selling it and getting a wood burner just waiting until these last few weeks (hopefully) of cold weather, i moved into this house 5 months ago, the pellet stove was already in it, have had that thing apart numerous times for multiple reasons,

What kind of stove? Are the pellets hardwood, are they an inch long or longer? Have you run the stove empty and pulled the auger motor to see if auger shaft is free or binding up(turn by hand)?

I had that problem a year ago, within a couple weeks time I sheared 2 pins, none ever before or after that. Must have been a bad run of pellets. Also the Kirtlands were always very long pellets.

Do your pellets look something like this? Pellet length plays an important role in how your auger feeds. A few long pellets can cause a pin to snap if conditions are just right. I’d pull the auger or auger cover depending on the stove and make sure there are no foreign objects in there but I’d also make sure your burning a pellet that is consistently 1” or less in length. The right fuel makes a world of difference.

Attachments

• A673B5CA-A8ED-4977-A523-66721B102AB0.jpeg
    A673B5CA-A8ED-4977-A523-66721B102AB0.jpeg
    108 KB · Views: 230
I have pulled the auger motor a lot, one reason why i hate this stove, i have been using the same brand of pellets but have noticed the current batch seems a bit longer than they used to, not as long as those in the picture though, i checked the tube and it is smooth, i filed down the edges on the auger just in case it was somehow catching on an imperfection in the tube i can't see, i ended up drilling it out and putting in a larger solid pin, so far it is working, also is it common for the auger motor case screws to come loose? The old motor and now this new one have done it, about to put some red locktite on them dang things

Last edited by a moderator:
You’d have to show me a picture of the screws you’re talking about but basically, no. No screws should be coming loose from being used. The danger of using a larger pin is that you are bypassing the safety that is supposed to protect your motor from failure if you get your auger in a bind.

It is the screws that hold the gearbox case together, i did consider that thought before i went to a bigger pin, but I'm working long hours, trying to keep the propane use down as i need to get the tank filled already and if it drops past 20% they charge me a leak test fee, my wife stays home but she is taking care of a 5 year, 5 month old and two dogs, plus she isn't really able to do the repairs necessary to fix it,

I didn't see anything to cause the auger to hang up, i do think it is the pellets causing it, but with the larger pin it hasn't broke yet, hoping it is just the little bit extra strength needed to power though the pellets