Broken Handle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fatlad

Feb 14, 2022
France
Hi,

I've never owned a wood burner but recently bought a house in France with a Deville Jumbo. Not sure if Deville is a global make, I think they're more a French/EU type deal. Anyway, I'm hoping someone on here may be able to help. Basically, the handle has broken. It's a pretty straightforward (and frankly really poorly designed) set up that rolls on a grooved pin about one and a half inches long. The problem I have is getting the pin out so I can replace the handle.

Hopefully you can picture this from the description...the handle opens outwards from the face of the door and the pin goes in the side of the door. One end of the pin can be seen on the edge of the door, but the other end is under the rope inside the door and has about half an inch of access - the thickness of the rope - so there's no way to get a drift punch or anything behind it to knock it out with. What I need, or what I'm picturing in my head, is something like an allen key - something with a 90 degree bend in it - that I can get in the gap, i.e. is about the width of the rope, and hit with a hammer to push the pin out - unfortunately any allen key small enough to fit would be too delicate to hit with a hammer. I've added a picture to show the handle and pin.

Any thoughts or help much appreciated.

IMG_20220205_140308.jpg

Its sad that those companies who make all these different stoves make it so hard for them even to start a repair job and I just do not understand that and hope you get the piece out..clancey

If the gasket is in the way of removal, gently pry it out of the channel in the area. Reglue once the job is done.

Reactions: Bad LP
Do you know of any farmers? they're pretty good for coming up with good work-a rounds.

Thanks all for taking the time to reply. Unfortunately I can't get a driving pin in the available space, let alone a hammer to hit it with. As you can see from the picture I attached, the space I've got to work in is the width of the gasket, so any solution needs to work in that space. From searching around on the web the only solution I'm seeing that seems likely to work is either to drill it out completely from the outside, which I'm dubious would work or drill it, tap it, put a bolt in it and pull it out, maybe with a slide hammer. Unfortunately, I have none of those tools, I've never used any of those tools (except a drill!) and it's not something I've done before, so I don't really want to pay for those tools just to use them once. I can't even find a local dealer or repair person who could look at it...so frustrating right now.

Any thoughts or help much appreciated.
If a small "C" clamp - with modifications - could fit in there - a protruding nub at one end to force the pin out, and a doughnut with a hole in the center to receive the outgoing pin to keep the clamp centered. As you tighten the clamp the pin drifts out. That's the best I can come up with. Head scratcher for sure.

Angle grinder with a zip cut.cut both sides of that latch .you should have little of that pin to push out then.

I was hoping I could re-use the pin so I did consider cutting it and levering it out using the cuts but as a last resort really. The clamp idea could be an option. I don't have one to hand but I guess it's something I could pick up at the hardware store pretty cheap. I'll explore that idea and post back with the results. Thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions so far.

Is the gasket channel removable at all? Barring that and a lack of tools: I'd get the part in hand, remove the door and head to a mechanic or some type of shop and pay to have it done. Wouldn't think it would be too much. Cheaper than buying tools.

I'd try to get a SHARP punch and tap the inside at an angle. Don't need to drive all the way out. Just enough to get some vise grip on the other side

Last edited:
Reactions: clancey