Broken refractory shelf (VC 0028)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

homebrewz

Minister of Fire
Nov 29, 2005
East Central, NY
While cleaning the cat and vacuuming out the cat area, I punched through a refractory "shelf" that sits
just below the cat. It probably deflects heat away from the back of the refractory when the cat is engaged. Its now in two pieces
(picture below). Can I run the stove without it? I'm guessing no way.. otherwise it wouldn't be there
in the first place. Any ideas on how to put this thing back together? It sits on two little indentations for each
edge of the "shelf" to sit.. no support along the center so I need to "glue" it back together somehow.

PC280057.jpg

Its the refractory material of the refractory package for a VC Defiant Encore. I don't know if its ceramic in nature.
The assembly itself is held together with screws. Perhaps I could take metal nails and sort of mate the two
pieces back together?

Also, does this Cat need to be replaced? I'm surprised it looks this way, as its seen about 4 maybe 5 cords of wood maximum.
Its exactly a year old. Some of the slots are broken and have fallen out.. maybe about 10 or so. I just blew it out and cleaned out
the soot. I was going to try cleaning it with vinegar at the end of the season.

PC280059.jpg

Looks like you may have some thermal shock damage there. It starts out as small cracks, then starts to crumble away. It could last a couple more years or fall apart tomorrow. Hard to tell. Take a look at this site, it has some great tips on cats.
www.woodstove.com/pages/combustortips.html

Status
Not open for further replies.