Brought a sudden end to our day of gathering wood.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianN

Feeling the Heat
Aug 30, 2012
Central BC
The wife and I went out to get some wood yesterday at our favorite gathering site.
We backed in, got set up and started getting a pile of logs near the truck to be bucked and stacked in the truck. After the first row of wood was in the truck, the saw started acting like it was out of fuel and was sputtering like crazy. Then, just quit. I took the top cover off to the sound of boiling fuel. A little further inspection, I noticed that the fuel line had a leak in it. Looking a bit further into it, I realized I did not have all the proper tools to do this simple fix and had to empty the fuel back into the jerry can and call it a day with the saw.
After filling the truck up with 6' - 8' logs to be bucked at home, we headed out.
Luckily. As soon as we got to the road, it started pouring rain.
As soon as we got home, I took the saw apart, cut the fuel line to where the hole was and reattached it. Runs like a dream now.
So, now my job today is to buck up what we brought home, split and stack it. Prepare to go out tomorrow morning before work and get another load, since we were planning on getting two loads yesterday.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
That's why I buy real gas for everything but the cars!!

The hole in the fuel line was caused by rubbing on the back of the filter. So, cut the line before the hole and reattached, making sure that it isn't rubbing on any thing. Hopefully won't have this problem again. But, saying that, I am preparing a tool kit just for the saw. Just in case.

Hard to get around here, you can go to the airport (which is 35 miles away) to get it, at around 7-8 bucks a gallon.....
I just use pump gas in my older saws and run a little extra oil in the mix.........

We can still get the not alc. gas here any where, I guess the 15% is getting around more.
My Stihl weed eater had a crappy fuel line on it( when new) and it has never seen alc. fuel.

We can still get the not alc. gas here any where, I guess the 15% is getting around more.
My Stihl weed eater had a crappy fuel line on it( when new) and it has never seen alc. fuel.

The town I live in has no gas, but the one I work in has real gas. All the closer stations only have the booze gas.

The hole in the fuel line was caused by rubbing on the back of the filter. So, cut the line before the hole and reattached, making sure that it isn't rubbing on any thing. Hopefully won't have this problem again. But, saying that, I am preparing a tool kit just for the saw. Just in case.

I did that. Got a tool box set up with almost everything to work on my saws
but didn't think about a piece of fuel line.
I need to add that to the saw tool box.

Good thread!

the booze gas.
I like it
LOL ;lol

Never really thought about a saw tool kit but I am usually only a few miles from the house. Several years ago I went a couple years with only one saw but now I always take two so I have experienced a few bad moments with a broken saw.

If you shortened the fuel line, then the saw will need filled more often.

Best to replace the fuel line as Scotty mentioned. There is Ethanol proof line out now.

Saws make it an average of 5 yrs (give or take) before the fuel and/or impulse lines need replaced because of cracks and leaks.

I got 7 Yeats or so till my fuel line split.

I live neat a large lake so maybe that's why I can find it?? We have non E 87 for like $3.50 and I can get non E premium for about $3.89. Saws and weed eater get premium and boat and ATV get regular fuel non E.

Status
Not open for further replies.