Ash Score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Solarguy3500

Feeling the Heat
Dec 3, 2020
Western MA
My neighbor recently dropped a bunch of standing dead ash in the woods next to his house. He doesn't burn wood, so he offered it to me. It took me a nanosecond to say yes.

He has a tractor and over the last week he dragged a pile of logs out to a landing near the road.
He even borrowed a dump trailer from a friend and we spent the afternoon yesterday bucking some of it up and he dropped 2 trailer loads of rounds at my house. He also took one load over to his friend's house that owns the trailer.
This is after just the first load he dropped at my house:

20240301_161918.jpg
20240301_161855.jpg

There's still a lot more wood back in the woods. We just needed to get those piles out of the way so he has room to drag the rest of the logs out to the landing. Some of the logs that are left are larger diameter so lots of wood in them. And they are all really nice and straight with no branches until the very tops, so should be easy splitting too.

I went over and bucked the rest of the pile of logs out by the road.

Might be a while though before we can get in there to load the rounds into the trailer or my side by side because it warmed up a lot today and its really soft and muddy down there. May have to wait until after mud season unless it freezes up again at some point. That's not looking likely.

Reactions: nola mike
Doesn't look like anything to crazy to handle. That'll will be quick work and you will be set. So many dead ones in the woods behind my parents. I take a trailer load here and there.

Find an Alaska mill or something of the sort and if there are any bigger (20" plus) logs back there that aren't showing the beginning of rot discoloration in the middle, slab some of them out 1.5-2" thick and put up a post and let the bass guitar makers have a go at it. They say ash is one of the best woods for solid body basses. I had some I cut 4 or so years ago with a buddy's big Husky with a 36" bar and it dried in the basement and a customer of mine who makes bass guitars raved about it. Might make a few bucks since nature isn't doing so well at making new big diameter ashes.

Reactions: Solarguy3500
I went over and bucked the rest of the pile of logs out by the road.

Might be a while though before we can get in there to load the rounds into the trailer or my side by side because it warmed up a lot today and its really soft and muddy down there. May have to wait until after mud season unless it freezes up again at some point. That's not looking likely.

May get a freeze Sunday night. Monday may be your last opportunity.

That stuff looks to be in good shape. Most of my dead standing ash has varying degrees of punkiness.

That stuff looks to be in good shape. Most of my dead standing ash has varying degrees of punkiness.
Yeah, my neighbor got them down while they are still solid. No rot or punkiness that I've found yet.

My neighbor recently dropped a bunch of standing dead ash in the woods next to his house. He doesn't burn wood, so he offered it to me. It took me a nanosecond to say yes.

He has a tractor and over the last week he dragged a pile of logs out to a landing near the road.
He even borrowed a dump trailer from a friend and we spent the afternoon yesterday bucking some of it up and he dropped 2 trailer loads of rounds at my house. He also took one load over to his friend's house that owns the trailer.
This is after just the first load he dropped at my house:

View attachment 325368
View attachment 325369

There's still a lot more wood back in the woods. We just needed to get those piles out of the way so he has room to drag the rest of the logs out to the landing. Some of the logs that are left are larger diameter so lots of wood in them. And they are all really nice and straight with no branches until the very tops, so should be easy splitting too.
Nice score @Solarguy3500 .