Brush recommendations!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Irish916

Aug 17, 2011
Eastern PA, Southern Poconos
So my first season with the 52i and P68 has come to a close. I plan on doing a thorough cleaning of the exhaust piping this week. Both stoves were metal piping with relatively short and accessible runs. I want to know what type of brush I should buy to clean the soot and ash from the venting. I believe the 52i was installed with 4in pipe and the 68i was 3in. Recommendations are appreciated.

Hey Irish,

Lot's of options for vent brushing, with many folks using the combo pellet vent / dryer vent brush, others get the pellet vent specific ones made by Rutland company and others. Folks who burn multi-fuels like corn that tend to leave more corrosive vent residue swear by the Sooteater, that you can hook up to a drill and spin the brush while you move it up and down the venting.

If you get that system, make sure you have the drill going in the forward direction, and not reverse it by mistake, or it will disconnect the rod sections in the venting and make for a PITA to get out ! I duct taped the rod junctions together on my vent brush to prevent that even though it's a non-drill type brush, 'just in case', given the 5' vertical run I have. With relatively short and accessible venting, you can likely get away with a non-drill brush system that will do just fine.

Whatever brush you decide to go with, make sure the bristles are made of poly rather than steel, the latter being more common in wood stove chimney flue sweeping, but if used in pellet venting will scratch the inside vent surfaces and make them more prone to accelerated corrosion.

Use the search link to query "vent brushing" and "Sooteater brush" and you will find tons of threads on this topic to help you further. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I can recommend the linteater.

linteater has worked very well for me for 4 years now.
i do always plier tighten and tape the joints as per the instructions.
i've never reversed the drill with the brush in the vent, but if i ever do, i'll be prepared.

Status
Not open for further replies.