Brute 22 Ton Splitter (Menards)??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

billfred

Burning Hunk
Jul 28, 2015
indy
I could get it for $700. Any opinions? I was considering the Black Diamond from Rural King or the DHT from Lowes. But for $200 cheaper, I'm considering this one.
Cycle time is 2 sec slower and pump is a little slower. Any one have experience with this?

Pump 11 GPM Cycle Time: 13 second (time unit)
Engine Brand: Briggs and Stratton® Engine Displacement: 208 cubic centimeter
Hydraulic Fluid Capacity: 6 gallon (US) Log Length Capacity: 25 inch
Manufacturer Warranty: 1 year Oil Capacity: 2.64 ounce
Operating Position: Horizontal or Vertical Overall Depth: 82.6 inch
Overall Height: 38.2 inch Overall Width: 41.7 inch
Product Type: Gas Log Splitters Recommended Engine Oil Type: 10W-30
Splitting Force: 22 ton (US) or short ton (UK/US) Start Type: Recoil
Weight: 445 pound Wheel Diameter: 16 inch

For what my opinion is worth, I researched log splitters for 3-4 years (how long it took to talk the wife into letting me get one :)......)

Anyways...I went with the 25 to County Line (Speeco) with a 6.5 HP Kohler. I got it for $899 and it comes with a 3 year residential use warranty. I was close to getting the Black Diamond from Rural King as they were very comparable, but TSC was closer.

My thought is that $200 bucks gets you 3 more tons of splitting force, 2 more years of warranty and 2 more seconds better cycle time (11 second cycle time on the TSC County Line).

You will have this unit for a very long time. Not the time to try and save $200 bucks, in my humble opinion

I am very pleased with mine. I’ve owned it now for 2 weeks, split a cord and a half and it has been unstoppable thus far. I burn 5-6 cords a year and always have 5-10 in the field at any given time. So I would say I split 5-6 cords a year on average. This is the perfect splitter for me, the 35-40 ton types are just overkill if you ask me.

It is well built. There are no cheap parts that will give out after normal use.

Any more input on the Brute? Family almost got it for me for Father’s Day.