BTU Calculator

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eloise

Dec 30, 2007
I've put in questions previously about different sources of wood heat for my house and I thank you all for your continued suggestions. Recently I found a site to calculate BTU's and came up with a need for 35000 to heat half of my house in 20 degrees and 40,000 for 5 degrees. I figure the middle # would be @ 37,000 BTU's. it was hard to calculate accurately because there was no variance for wind chill. The wind blows hard most of the winter. Temperatures vary between 5 to 30 degrees.
Would that BTU requirement eliminate most zero clearance fireplaces? The store that sells the Quadrifier does not think the 7100 would be a problem. There are also the Heat n Glo and heatilators with Norhtstar and Constitution which may have lower BTU outputs. The RSF Opel and Topaz are both for smaller spaces.
Would any of these zeros work or is my BTU requirement too low? Wood stove is half price to install and may be adequate, but will take up a big chunk of space in the living room. That is why i am leaning towards The zero clearance which can be built out from the house.
I like the fireplace look and space saving abiltiy , but don't want to spend a lot of money on something that will be too hot.

How many square feet are you trying to heat? What is the house layout like? How old is the house/how good is it insulated?

You may want to check out BIS. The Ulitima or Tradition CE may work for your application.

http://www.securitychimneys.com/pages/fireplace/high_BisTraditionCE.asp?country=ca

Also check out Kozy Heat. Regency also carries a smaller ZC fireplace.

Keep in mind, the BTU ratings on wood burners are under perfectly ideal conditions and are not likely acheived in real life application.

the open space is roughly 28 by 33. CAthedral ceilling in half. The rest of the house is divided off from the living room, kitchen and dining room.

Status
Not open for further replies.