BTU info

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Green Mtn Boy

Nov 19, 2008
Northern Vermont
Hello everyone, new to the site but have been reading post for a little while. The info is great! I was wondering if anyone can confirm the BTU info I found for concrete using Google. It stated that a pound of concrete takes .2 BTU to raise it 1 degree Fahrenheit. Does anyone agree? Trying to come up with an educated guess on what it takes to raise the temp of my basement floor 10 degrees.

0.2 btu /lb deg. F is the number I have seen quoted, and concrete is about 150 pounds per cubic foot. So those numbers should get you started. You're also going to have to estimate the R value between the concrete and the earth (or maybe you've put in a known value of insulation under the slab?) There is also going to be heat loss to the air above the slab, to the walls of the rooms, etc.

Thanks for the welcome........I've noticed a fair amount of Vermonters on here. I also see quite a few Tarms. Must be our location, being so close to Lyme and all. I'm running a solo 30 with out storage yet. The house is still under construction but this is the second season I've used the Tarm. I'm fearful that I under sized it though. I'll have three radiant zones when I'm done and a zone for the indirect. The basement is 36 x 48 with embedded pex (this was why I was looking for the info earlier) The two other floors with be 30 x 36 with staple up pex. Those two zones aren't connected yet.....it's a work in progress! I'm not living there yet so I don't feed it regularly but on cold days it has a hard time keeping up. It takes a lot of energy to heat that floor up! I'm hoping that the other zones will help when I bring them on line. The house is super insulated with spray foam in the walls and a combination of foam and cellulose in the ceiling. Any thoughts or prior experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.