Buck 27000 stack/boot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JohnWW

Jul 8, 2019
Installing a 27000. Looks like I will need an adapter to convert from the rectangular stove exhaust to 8" insulated round stove pipe which will go through the existing 10" chimney. Seen a few threads on this, but still would like clarification on a few things.

From what I have found so far, looks like I need to choose between:
1: a "boot" which is a square-ish adapter that covers more than the exhaust orifice. How does this bolt on?
2 a "stack", which is a rectangular adapter that fits pretty much exactly over the orifice and bolts on to existing points on the stove.

Firstly, please correct me if my nomenclature is incorrect and these are indeed the options. In choosing it seems that 2. would be optimal because it seems it bolts to purpose made points and also (guessing) the flue could be swept with all the soot going into the firebox. #1 would be used when clearance is limited.

Also, I haven't checked alignment with where the flue pipe will come down, but there will probably be and offset. How is the offset typically dealt with. Should I avoid using flexible flue - it looks like it would be harder to clean?

Any links to good value, high quality components would be appreciated.

Thanks
J

Installing a 27000. Looks like I will need an adapter to convert from the rectangular stove exhaust to 8" insulated round stove pipe which will go through the existing 10" chimney. Seen a few threads on this, but still would like clarification on a few things.

From what I have found so far, looks like I need to choose between:
1: a "boot" which is a square-ish adapter that covers more than the exhaust orifice. How does this bolt on?
2 a "stack", which is a rectangular adapter that fits pretty much exactly over the orifice and bolts on to existing points on the stove.

Firstly, please correct me if my nomenclature is incorrect and these are indeed the options. In choosing it seems that 2. would be optimal because it seems it bolts to purpose made points and also (guessing) the flue could be swept with all the soot going into the firebox. #1 would be used when clearance is limited.

Also, I haven't checked alignment with where the flue pipe will come down, but there will probably be and offset. How is the offset typically dealt with. Should I avoid using flexible flue - it looks like it would be harder to clean?

Any links to good value, high quality components would be appreciated.

Thanks
J
What fireplace is this going into?

Metal fireplace. Planning on cutting the back and top out and sides as necessary to make it fit.
Can you post a pic? I am concerned you may be talking about a prefab fireplace in which case you probably are not allowed to install an insert. And absolutely can't cut anything out

What fireplace is this going into?
Metal fireplace. Planning on cutting the metal at back and top until 27000 fits and can drop liner down.
Can you post a pic? I am concerned you may be talking about a prefab fireplace in which case you probably are not allowed to install an insert. And absolutely can't cut anything out
Can't take a pic right now, but assuming it is a prefab, couldn't I just remove all of it and then install into the remaining alcove with a flue, as long as I adhere to clearance specs from the manual? Building is brick/block.

Metal fireplace. Planning on cutting the metal at back and top until 27000 fits and can drop liner down.

Can't take a pic right now, but assuming it is a prefab, couldn't I just remove all of it and then install into the remaining alcove with a flue, as long as I adhere to clearance specs from the manual? Building is brick/block.
Yes if they give alcove clearances you could follow those. If the entire surrounding structure is brick or block atleast 10" thick and it is on slab then clearances don't apply but if there are any combustibles there or the brick is thin with combustibles adjacent it will cause issues

Yes if they give alcove clearances you could follow those. If the entire surrounding structure is brick or block atleast 10" thick and it is on slab then clearances don't apply but if there are any combustibles there or the brick is thin with combustibles adjacent it will cause issues
This is all very useful information. Thanks. So after I have checked the installation site, any insight on my initial questions on the adapter?

This is all very useful information. Thanks. So after I have checked the installation site, any insight on my initial questions on the adapter?
You are pretty much going to have to install it as a freestanding stove in an alcove so if you can find one I would go with the taller tapered one.

Reactions: JohnWW