Buck 27000

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

atmarx

Nov 20, 2014
PA
Howdy --

Long time reader (well, since I got the stove last year), first time poster. I bought a Buck 27000 last year for $300 on CL, which seemed like a great deal at the time :) I slapped it into a masonry chimney, opened the damper in the flue, installed the front plates, and used it for a year. I knew it wasn't ideal, but it was cold and I wanted to be prepared in case we lost power (which we did for 4 days) so I went with it.

The chimney is in great shape -- brick up to about 8 ft, and then another 12 ft or so of ceramic block flue (the rounded square blocks) up to the top, with a cap/spark arrestor on top.

This year, I decided to go with a flue liner before we fired it up. Of course, that cost more than twice what I paid for the stove, but... I got the 8" duravent liner, the rockwool insulation, and my pops helped me get it installed.

Here's the problem: we ran into an issue with the stove not lining up properly. We busted out a few bricks, and gave ourselves as much room as possible, but without starting to cut into the front masonry (which I don't want to hurt because that's what's separating the chimney from the living room sheetrock), we just couldn't get the Buck adapter to sit flush. In the manual, it says to only use that adapter for freestanding installs, but I figured it's okay to use here.

I ordered two 90 degree adjustable elbows from a supply shop, and we're going to install one or both on Saturday. I know it's preferable to have no bends or changes in direction, but are there any issues with using these? It doesn't seem like the pieces make an air tight seal. Once installed, do I have to hit the seams with masonry sealant / fluegoo? Is it okay to seal everything with fluegoo, or will I have to remove pieces for cleaning?

The Buck rectangle to circle adapter doesn't bolt down - it just sits in place. Should I put an L bracket on each side and screw it in place to keep it snug? I assume self tapping sheet metal screws are okay in that kind of heat.

I also plan to fill the remaining space in the fireplace cavity with roxul batts once the fireplace is in place. Any benefit to doing that, or is that overkill?

I've got lots of dry wood I've been itching to use. Can't wait for this weekend. Thanks for reading this and any advice you can give.

Also, the thermostat was busted, so I wired up the fan to go full speed when the switch is up, and low speed when the switch is down. My plans are to have it controlled by an Arduino with temperature sensors (and to text me when the fire is dying down so I can come downstairs and load it back up). That's a project for another day (or year)...

I drilled holes in the top of my buck and bolted the adapter to the stove. I also put a rope gasket between the adapter and the stove.

Also, the thermostat was busted, so I wired up the fan to go full speed when the switch is up, and low speed when the switch is down. My plans are to have it controlled by an Arduino with temperature sensors (and to text me when the fire is dying down so I can come downstairs and load it back up). That's a project for another day (or year)...
I would suggest installing the factory fan and thermostat. It makes life nice. Increasing, decreasing and turning off when it should.

Thanks gzecc -- I'll get the thermostat. On my stove, it had been mounted in the back, and when I took the fan shroud off, the whole thermostat unit pretty much crumbled apart. I called a supply store that sells the replacements, and they want to sell a wiring kit to move it to the side instead. Is that because of the heat issues? Or are the newer thermostats calibrated differently to account for the lower temperatures when installed in the air vents on the side?

Thanks gzecc -- I'll get the thermostat. On my stove, it had been mounted in the back, and when I took the fan shroud off, the whole thermostat unit pretty much crumbled apart. I called a supply store that sells the replacements, and they want to sell a wiring kit to move it to the side instead. Is that because of the heat issues? Or are the newer thermostats calibrated differently to account for the lower temperatures when installed in the air vents on the side?

Really couldn't say. Do what they suggest. They know the issues best.

Status
Not open for further replies.