Buck 91 Lower catalyst shield bolts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jdcarter74

Nov 13, 2018
Lanett
So I have a buck stove model 91 that the lower catalyst shield needs to be replaced. Tried to remove the bolts and of course the heads broke off of them. Any suggestions on what to do from here? First thought is drill them out but don't have enough room for the drill in the fire box

I had the later model which had no bolts, just studs that came off the bottom of cat housing, with a hole for a cotter pin that held the shield up in place. Have you got a pic of what you're dealing with? Maybe you could replace the cat housing with the new version, but it's not cheap. I woundn't replace the shield, just pound it flat with a rubber mallet.
002.JPG 006.JPG

So I have a buck stove model 91 that the lower catalyst shield needs to be replaced. Tried to remove the bolts and of course the heads broke off of them. Any suggestions on what to do from here? First thought is drill them out but don't have enough room for the drill in the fire box
You have to drill them out

90 degree air drill.
We have an 18v Milwaukee right ange drill for situations like this. But it is not fun those bolts are usually pretty hard after being heated and cooled that many times

I was afraid of that. Guess I'll start looking for the best way to drill them out with what I have - if not I'll be shopping for something.

Woody - that would be so much easier. Wish buck would have thought of doing that on older models. I may look into a new housing so I don't have this problem in the future.

Thanks guys